Thread: Moving from CO to Homer, Alaska

Default Moving from CO to Homer, Alaska

I am moving from Colorado to Homer Alaska...... and have been checking out my options for moving my household
    goods. I knew it would be expensive but I never thought that it would be as expensive as I'm finding. I've also read
    of the horror stories of damaged, lost items and the shippers requesting more money before they will deliver, etc. I am moving by myselft and don't really have anyone to help me as in loading or unloading and driving say a U Haul truck up. I will be driving my own personal vehicle myself and have no worries with that since I have driven to AK many times - I'm not a newby to the Alcan or AK, but with the moving situation I am. Any suggestions and comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by srs99603 View Post
    don't really have anyone to help me as in loading or unloading and driving say a U Haul truck
    Don't underestimate the power of craigslist, to get you some day laborers for cash to load/unload. Don't know about CO, but it works in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Don't underestimate the power of craigslist, to get you some day laborers for cash to load/unload. Don't know about CO, but it works in AK.
    Particularly in Homer. A lot of people do a lot of different jobs to get by. I would guess just asking around at the hardware store or gas station would get you some help. If you're a religious guy, they probably have a local church you could call in advance and they would probably help you too. Good luck.

Hi I am in Colorado and I dream of moving to Homer in the next year or two. I have never been there but I have seen many pictures and the people I know who have been there tell me I won't ever come back down to the lower 48 once I get to Alaska.

Anyways....I wish you all the best in your move and I would love to hear about everything. From the trip to what you experience when you get there, and everything in between.

How does it compare to Colorado? Is it easy to get a job on the fishing boats? What about other job possibilities? Is there a healthclub there in Homer? You know.....just some of the many questions.

I will find out on my own soon just how awesome it is. But if you could kind of fill me in on how your experience goes it would help me to prepare for my own move to Homer. Thanks a bunch and good luck!

Don't underestimate the coffee shop!!! 2 sisters is where I love hanging out; meet great folks and just sit there drink coffee & listen

Sell as much of your household goods as possible. Unless you have family heirlooms, you are much better off just selling as much of your stuff as possible, and replacing them as needed when you get here. You'll save money, and grief.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Sell as much of your household goods as possible. Unless you have family heirlooms, you are much better off just selling as much of your stuff as possible, and replacing them as needed when you get here. You'll save money, and grief.
    I totally agree with Paul. You can always pick up replacement furniture and household goods at a garage or moving sale. Homer and area used to have a one or two hour program on the local radio station where you could buy and sell items, advertise for day labor, etc.,

sell it all! dont bother with anything, and fly up. we got plenty of junk in alaska you can aquire cheap if you know how with craigslist.
    Semper Fi!