Thread: Alaska Peninsula / Whitefish Lake and Nikabuna Lake area

Default Alaska Peninsula / Whitefish Lake and Nikabuna Lake area

Still trying to plan a caribou hunt for August. I can't go for the Nelchina herd because I didn't apply for a Tier II permit, so now I am looking at Fortymile or Mulchatna.

Does anyone have any pictures in their archives of the Whitefish Lake area or the Nikabuna Lakes area just west of Lake Clark that they can link or upload? Any areas where a wheeled plane can land out there? I see plenty of rivers and creeks in the gazeteer but I can't seem to find a lot of pictures on google, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

I really don't want to have to get a different plane than my own and use floats to get in, but that is a last chance option if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    Still trying to plan a caribou hunt for August. I can't go for the Nelchina herd because I didn't apply for a Tier II permit, so now I am looking at Fortymile or Mulchatna.

Does anyone have any pictures in their archives of the Whitefish Lake area or the Nikabuna Lakes area just west of Lake Clark that they can link or upload? Any areas where a wheeled plane can land out there? I see plenty of rivers and creeks in the gazeteer but I can't seem to find a lot of pictures on google, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

I really don't want to have to get a different plane than my own and use floats to get in, but that is a last chance option if necessary.

You might want to look at the Swift River, which flows into the Stony River just downstream from Lime Village.
    Good, solid gravel bars and plenty of good caribou on the hills to the north. Moose, too, unless all that has changed . . . . .

Off the top of my head I think the Swift flows straight to the Kusko up river from Stony. For some reason Google Earth isnt working so I cant confirm that. Be a good place to hunt I would think. About the same distance through Rainy or Merrill Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

You might want to look at the Swift River, which flows into the Stony River just downstream from Lime Village.
    Good, solid gravel bars and plenty of good caribou on the hills to the north. Moose, too, unless all that has changed . . . . .

When was the last time you were up there? Is the Mulchatna Herd as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

I'm not up on all the airplanes and what they can, and cannot do, other than Beavers and Supercubs. Do you have to have an actual runway to land and take off? Or do you have tundra tires where all you need is fairly smooth ground and distance? If it is the latter, then you should do ok by going farther west of the Mulchatna. When I stopped guiding over there in 2000', the guys I guided for only had floats. At that time is seemed that most of the caribou were moving farther west, which made sense as there was constant float plane pressure from so. central AK. As you move farther west tho, you run out of float plane lakes and ponds. The guides out of Dillingham that had beavers and cubs on wheels were still doing well as they could still get to the bou. But like I said that was quite awhile ago. I haven't kept up on the herd for a long time now. This is what I remember from back then. Do you fly a lot? Can you just fly over there and see for yourself?

I am on 29" tires, and I can get into a lot of off airport locales, but I do need more space than most cub drivers. Yes, I will probably get over there between now and season opening, but I am hoping to narrow down where I should be going with the price of avgas being what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    I am on 29" tires, and I can get into a lot of off airport locales, but I do need more space than most cub drivers. Yes, I will probably get over there between now and season opening, but I am hoping to narrow down where I should be going with the price of avgas being what it is.
    If you want, I do believe I still have some coordinates plugged into my gps. Of course they are lakes/ponds but you can use them and go from there. PM me if interested.....