Thread: Kodiak Deer Hunt

Default Kodiak Deer Hunt

2 man hunt with as little money involved as possible. We plan on using the Ferry to get to Kodiak, now what do we do? Fly out to a cabin? Pitch the North Face tent in the middle of bear country? Where do we go? I'd always planned for Steelheading or Bear hunting over there but never deer. What do I do?

When are you going? There is hunting available over there from August through December, so what you need to do will vary depending on the time frame. There is hunting available off the road system for those on a tight budget, but the limits are generally less and the season shorter. That being said, some awfully nice bucks are taken every season by road system hunters that are willing to hike and climb away from the road. There are some members here who live on Kodiak or guide over there, so I imagine you'll get some pretty good info if you give some more specifics. Good luck to you!

-Brian

This is a meat hunt with a good buck being a bonus. The road system is out because of the limit. Whatever you guys say will dictate when we go.

I've only hunted Kodiak once and Afognak twice, so my advice isn't worth as much as some others with more experience. That being said, I would fly somewhere that gets semi-regular air service if budget is a factor. Fly out to a village like Larsen Bay in November, get a local water taxi to take you across the bay from town, set up a solid tent that can withstand harsh winds and hunt to your heart's content. When I hunted Larsen Bay (granted, it was 10 years ago), we saw at least 30 deer/day with a fair number being bucks. We only saw two truly large deer, but we weren't hunting that far from town due to the health of one of the hunters. For a meat trip on a budget, it seems like a good option...though I'm sure there are others.

Default Port Lions

I work on the ferry and your best bang for the buck will be going to Port Lions. You'd be surprised how many hunters haul out huge bucks from there. Last fall guys were just putting their 4-wheelers with meat wagons on the ferry (instead of paying for a truck or truck&trailer combo). When it came time to pick them up, most of them had 3 or 4 deer stacked on their bikes. These were not spikes but 3 and 4 pointers. The people in Port Lions are some of the friendliest people you'll ever find. Do your homework...call the city office or the vpso and they'll gladly tell you how to hunt without trespassing on Native Land. I hope I didn't just let a well kept secret out!!!

port lions is in the road system area
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Look again P-M

Port Lions and vicinity including Pergrebni Peninsula is in the road system. The area outside the village is remote. Anyone with a 4-wheeler can be outside the road system to the south in 20 minutes. Call the VPSO in Port Lions or the ADFG in Kodiak if you want positive verification. Sounds like that must be someones honey hole.

For sure you could get the remote area pretty easy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default port lions/ferry

I would be very interested in hearing more about takeing the ferry over from homer and hunting the port lions area. Can a couple guys get to the remote areas without too much difficulty and still find the deer. Never been to kodiak so I have no idea what is involved in hunting port lions.
    anyone care to share pm if you like
    Thanks

Default Deer Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by isteelhead View Post
    2 man hunt with as little money involved as possible. We plan on using the Ferry to get to Kodiak, now what do we do? Fly out to a cabin? Pitch the North Face tent in the middle of bear country? Where do we go? I'd always planned for Steelheading or Bear hunting over there but never deer. What do I do?

Before I went to Kodiak next fall I would check on the winter kill they had this winter. We always flew out with Andrews Air and had good results. The farther south you go the more deer. Hunting those deer is a good hunting trip. I like to go just before Thanksgiving. BC