Thread: Twin Lakes Unit 15B question

Default Twin Lakes Unit 15B question

I'll be flying into Twin Lakes out of Soldatna and was interested on any info for the area. This will be for a self guided Black bear hunt. Does anyone know if there is wood around lake level for a campfire? We plan on getting up high and glassing looking for them on the berries.

Any info on the terrain would be appreciated. I've been studying maps and was just looking for some first hand experience with the area.

Thanks.

When are you going up? I'm wondering if the lake isn't still froze up. Do you know for sure it's open now as it has been pretty chilly? You can find some dead wood in the brush around the lake probably enough for some small fires, but of course you're above treeline there so not a lot of big stuff. I've found blackies right up there with the sheep above Skilak glacier. So you may want to climb up to the top above the lake and check the chutes down towards the glacier working towards Skilak Lake. But depending on how much snow, these are not south facing slopes. You may also want to climb up, and south, till the ridge runs out where you can glass the valley out towards the mountain that holds Iceberg Lake. This would all be southern exposure. You can also work west from the lake and glass the beautiful Benjamin Basin. Sure looks to still be a lot of snow up there. If that's the case I would concentrate on southern facing hills and valleys. Love the country up there and sure do miss it. Good Luck!!!

4merguide----Thanks and sorry I wasn't clear, I'm flying out the 23rd of August so I'm in the prep stages right now. I appreciate the info.

Best regards.

As 4mer mentioned, don't plan on there being much for firewood. PM sent.

Cheers,
    Rich

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Great pic! Thanks as that gives me a better 'minds eye' view of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    As 4mer mentioned, don't plan on there being much for firewood. PM sent.

Cheers,
    Rich

Ahhhhh.....does that bring back some memories.....

Another quick question since I've not been up into that area before. Should I bring along the bear fence? Not sure what the Griz density is up that way and if there is much of a chance of having problems. I want to avoid any problems but don't want to fly in with extraneous and unnecessary stuff.

Thanks again.

Bear fence not needed. I'm sure there are a few griz wandering around the area, but not enough I worried about them. Bring it if it makes you feel better, but I didn't think lose any sleep without it. I'd put the chance of having a problem pretty low.

Also, wear hip boots for getting out of the plane and unloading gear. The lake drops off pretty quick at the bank most places we saw. Even with hip boots, you had to watch your step.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Wyo----Thanks so much for the info. A few pounds here and a few pounds there makes a lot of difference. Nice pics and great advice.

I really appreciate the info all!

Of all the times I've been up there, I never saw a brownie. The only time I saw one up that high was over on the Tustumena side of Indian Glacier. That was many years ago, and although I believe the brownie density is higher now, I still wouldn't worry about having any problems. Oooops.....I take that back. I took some friends over to the other side of Skilak and we hiked up Cottonwood Creek trail. I didn't see it as we were split up, but the other guys said they saw a big brownie down low in Benjamin Basin, on the Skilak side. So still, he wasn't up as high as Twin.

Funny out of all the guides I have worked with over the years the only one of us who ever had a problem with a brownie in spike camp was the one with a bear fence...

Bear--- That made me laugh.

Would a guy be wise to bring a Wolf tag up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Bear--- That made me laugh.

Would a guy be wise to bring a Wolf tag up there?
    You just never know if or when a wolf will cross your path. Personally I've never seen, nor even heard, a wolf while I've been up there. I doubt I'd get a tag if it was me. I have seen coyotes tho.

One lightweight alternative to a bear fence is to take some string (kite string works) and create a perimeter around your tent. Suspend the string with sticks or whatever is available. use jingle bells or whatever as a noisemaker to alert you if the line gets tripped. You can also use a personal electronic alarm type of device that goes off if the "pin" gets pulled out of it. Of course, NOISE wont shock the bear, but it may SHOCK you out of your sleep in time to grab your rifle! Good luck with the blackies!

Thanks to all for your kind info.

Judd---That's exactly what we're gonna' do...we have the bear alarm perimeter fence that we'll bring.

Again thanks to all.

PS... hows the fishing up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Thanks to all for your kind info.

Judd---That's exactly what we're gonna' do...we have the bear alarm perimeter fence that we'll bring.

Again thanks to all.

PS... hows the fishing up there?
    I really wouldn't even bother with the bear alarm fence, but do what makes you comfortable. There are grayling in Twin....

There is no firewood. Only brush. Good ptarmigan hunting too. It's a neat area. I went last year first week of October and snow ended the hunt.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2