Thread: Cordova black bear

Default Cordova black bear

Hi all, my buddy and I are heading to Cordova next week to do some black bear hunting off the road system. I've scoured this site but can only find threads that are a few years old, nothing recent. Has anyone had any luck in Cordova off the road system recently or has it been getting tougher over the years. I'm a little worried since I haven't seen any postings from that area lately. We're real excited about getting out there since it's supposed to be real beautful country. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ieatcaribou View Post
    Hi all, my buddy and I are heading to Cordova next week to do some black bear hunting off the road system. I've scoured this site but can only find threads that are a few years old, nothing recent. Has anyone had any luck in Cordova off the road system recently or has it been getting tougher over the years. I'm a little worried since I haven't seen any postings from that area lately. We're real excited about getting out there since it's supposed to be real beautful country. Thanks!
    You may want to call somebody there and see how much snow is still around. They got hammered this past winter. I know for a fact that the potential for a trophy black bear it there out of Cordova. Where? I can't tell you as I don't know. But the habitat over there produces some monsters with incredible hides. But I would check on snow conditions before you head out.

I am in Cordova and from what I am told there is no shortage of bears , black or brown.

I'll be calling down this week to check on the snow. I've also heard that the area holds some big bears but that being the case and seeing as how this site is updated so frequently with all of the hunters I figured there would have been some more posts from 2010 or 2011. I couldn't find any. I'll be sure to post how it goes. If anyone has ever hunted the road or near the million mile bridge I'd love to hear how it went, we'll be glassing the whole area, safe travels all.

I saw some guys skinning a black bear yesterday at a house behind the high school. So they must be out. Don't plan on going to the million dollar bridge. The road is only plowed to about mile 22 and farther out, it's closed completely about 38 mile I think. There's a bridge about to wash out and it won't be fixed at least until 2016 is what I've heard.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    I saw some guys skinning a black bear yesterday at a house behind the high school. So they must be out. Don't plan on going to the million dollar bridge. The road is only plowed to about mile 22 and farther out, it's closed completely about 38 mile I think. There's a bridge about to wash out and it won't be fixed at least until 2016 is what I've heard.
    So how did you survive the winter twodux...??? Did the military help you guys out a lot with them snow shovels?

I really appreciate the info. We'll be out next weekend, probably stay at the campground. I knew you were all hit with record snowfalls but I had hoped most of it would be melted away from the road system by now. Here's to hoping what bears are out will be wandering the shorelines!

I really appreciate the info. They'll be two of us down next weekend and we'll probably be staying at the campground. We're from Palmer and had read all winter about your record snowfalls but I was hoping most of it would be melted away from the roadsystems by now. Oh well, here's to hoping what bears are out will be wondering the shorelines!

Just got back from our week long trip to Cordova. It rained every day but the first and last, the wind howled nonstop and it was in the upper 30s every day. Winter also hadn't left yet, as there were still some pretty deep snow drifts in some places. Not as many hunters as I expected but it was a road hunt and the road was only open up to mile 36 and then it was snowed over. We saw bear every day but one, both brownies and blacks and almost had an unfortunate experience with a brown bear sow after coming upon her young cub by itself crying for momma. My buddy got a great black bear and they weren't kidding, Cordova bears have beautiful hides. Her right ear was white and the Fish and Game folks said they had never seen one like that before. The folks in Cordova may have it rough living out there but they were some of the nicest people I've ever met in my travels and I can't wait to go back there next spring. Thank you Cordova for an awesome time!

ieatcaribou, glad you guys had a good time. I once flew out of Cordova to Kattala and my friend and I each got BB. From May 10th thru the 16th never saw a one. Then on the 17th it was game on. Bears everywhere. try that next year.

Well we're headed back again at the end of this month. We're a little wiser now about the area and hopefully I'll get a bear this year. Regardless, it's beautiful country down there and I can't wait to try their pizza again out of that trailer, those hotdogs down by the airport and who could forget the mexican food out of the bus. I think Cordova is gonna become a yearly hangout for me. See ya'll soon (I'll be the guy in the camo)

Default Cordova Black Bear

Good Luck!! If you ever need a partner to go down there with you, let me know!!