Thread: From New Mexico to Alaska (Anchorage Area or Kenai Peninsula)

Default From New Mexico to Alaska (Anchorage Area or Kenai Peninsula)

I have lived in Southern New Mexico my whole life and my husband and I might be moving summer 2013. I am interested in finding out what moving up there is like. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, one vehicle, and will probably take a small uhaul trailer. I have done some searching online but have come up with minimal information. Is it easier to drive the entire way or go on a ferry? Any extra advice for a desert country girl?

Quote Originally Posted by kristy99 View Post
    Any extra advice for a desert country girl?
    Yeah, dress warm.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Hi Kristy,
    I have driven the highway three times from the lower 48 and the main thing I learned is to be prepared for anything because when you get up into Canada past Alberta, the towns are few and far between. Just in the last couple weeks, a member had this experience.
    But, all that being said, I don't want to scare you out of doing it in any way. Some people choose to ferry their vehicle up from the Seattle area. Depending on the age and condition of your car, it might be worth it. Otherwise, the Alcan Highway is beautiful and in the summer, and you could really make a trip out of it and make memories for life. I have seen buffalo, caribou and all sorts of other wildlife on the way up.
    In regards to renting a UHaul trailer, if you have the money I would check the prices of buying a brand new one and then sell it when you get here depending on how much UHaul is asking for the trailer. This website is like a local craigslist and it could give you an idea of what you could sell a trailer up here for. I say buy brand new, because you wouldn't want the wheel bearings going out on you. If the bearings go out on a Uhaul trailer, yes they will probably replace them, but the process would still probably set you back a few days.
    Take all the factors and pricing into consideration, plan well, and enjoy the trip. My only regret is that I wasn't able to spend more time on my way up exploring some of the areas I drove past.
    A couple more things to factor in is that you need a passport or one of those passport ID cards to get past the border and gas prices tend to be 30-40% higher in Canada. Good Luck!

Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Yeah, dress warm.
    hahaha very helpful!

Wow, thank you for all of the information! I appreciate your help very much.

Oh also...

We might have the option to move to either Palmer, Soldotna, or Fairbanks (I excluded Fairbanks in my post because I really don't want to move there). I like to grow food and thrive on local produce, Palmer seemed like the place to go. Any experiences in these cities anyone would like to share?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Get a current Alaska Milepost.

http://milepost.com

Of those options, Palmer would be the top of my list. You're right against the mountains, are in an excellent location for local food, and are centrally located within a 2-3 hour drive in any direction for great fishing, hunting, and exploring.

As for the drive, we did the U-Haul thing when my wife moved up here in 2003. We pulled a trailer with her vehicle on it, and while we lost a day while waiting for a tire to be replaced in the middle of nowhere, it was a spectacularly beautiful drive and we'd probably go that route again. With gas prices as they are, though, that might be a pricey option.

Quote Originally Posted by kristy99 View Post
    Oh also...

We might have the option to move to either Palmer, Soldotna, or Fairbanks (I excluded Fairbanks in my post because I really don't want to move there). I like to grow food and thrive on local produce, Palmer seemed like the place to go. Any experiences in these cities anyone would like to share?
    If you check out the Garden forum, you'll see that there are some serious gardeners up in the Fairbanks region.. So you can grow vegetables in any of the 3 locations you mention.. Granted you'll need to learn some Alaskan Techniques but it's do-able.
    That said I agree with Brian. Palmer or the Mat-Su Valley is centrally located for all the recreational and subsistance activities you would probably be interested in.. Plus, we grow some bodatious vegetables here in "the valley"..