Thread: What's the best time of day for spring bears?

Default What's the best time of day for spring bears?

Was wondering what I'm doing wrong. I cant find a bear to save my life! I've been out a few times glassing the hills and can't find anything other than sheep and moose. Just wondering if I should be looking early morning late evening or any time of the day? I'd appreciate any helpful information. Thanks Hunter

Seen only 1 early morning 1 around noon and about 10 in late afternoon.Keep glassing those hills you'll find one.

Are you glassing southern exposure hillsides? Avalanche chutes can be productive as the snow is gone earlier and the grass grows there sooner. Just a couple things to consider.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Just wondering if I should be looking early morning late evening or any time of the day?

The simple answer is yes, unless you know when the bears your wanting to hunt is hunger.

Another problem you may have, is the hills your looking at may not have any new greens coming out. If there no food there is no reason for a bear to be there. You need to take a hike and find out what the condition of the greens are.

6:30 to dark.....if you are not comimg home/camp in the dark your missing the best time to see a black bear!

Depends on the way you are hunting. When I go on a spot and stalk hunt, the most active times of the day have always been between the hours of 8-10 AM and PM. When I have been out bear baiting, the most activity has been between the hours of 11 PM and 6 AM. I have actually sat out in my stand all night long. Activity really seems to pick up between 1 AM and 3 AM. If you can stay awake on the stand that seems to be prime time for baiting I would say. Just my opinion.

Good thread...is there a difference between brown and black bear when it comes to peak hours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

After 4:20, then they arnt grumpy and most will be activly looking for snacks

Up this way , it's 24 hour daylight with some dusky dawn, and that 'rule' applies here as well, if you leave your bullets in camp, your garenteed to so a HUGE one, no matter what time it is
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have seen most of my bears at 8pmish......so at 7:45, that is what i like to call "PRIME TIME" It gets everyone amped and looking more and more.

I saw three today on base. One around noon, one around 3 and one around 630 tonight. Don't know if that was an oddity...

granted bears do tend to "bed" down during the day heat...just like humans when they are hungry they eat...if i slept for 6+ months id be hungry to! keep glassing, like said before the southern exposed hillsides are greening up quick and they will show themselves. yes early morning and late into the night are primetime....but not every animal is lethargic during the day. good luck your persistence will pay off

I put out a trail cam on my baits. I would fly out after work a few times a week to refill the bait and check the cams. What really surprised me is activity would start within 15 minutes of leaving my bait (around 8pm-ish); they were watching.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"