Thread: Koyakuk moose

Default Koyakuk moose

Hey guys this is my first time. I recently drew out on a dm830 koyakuk moose tag. I am trying to do my homework on this hunt. I know several of you have hunted this area before. Any advice would be great. I'm not asking for your honey holes or anything like that. Would like info on how much fuel I will burn from the Dalton Highway to the Koyakuk. Also what should I expect as far as moose, several bulls a day or very few. What about bears? Good chance of taking one or not? Any help I could get would be appreciated.

When you say the Dalton hiway does that mean you are putting in at the Yukon river bridge? What type of boat you are running, how many people and what gear you are carrying? Are you planning on buying gas in the villages as you go? What is your normal miles per gallon burn with a full load? Give a little more information and it will help one give you input.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused too because the Dalton HWy moose hunt is a different draw than what you say? Are you putting your boat in at the Koyukuk River from the Dalton? I have seen hunters put in from there too...was just wondering...K

Was planning on putting in at the Yukon River bridge and going down the Yukon to the Koyakuk unless their is a better place to put in. I have a North River 21 foot with a 350 inboard jet. 3 people going. Do most people carry fuel or just by in in the villages? How much do they carry? Cache it along the way? What about moose on the Koyakuk? I understand it could be a tough hunt some years and pretty good others.

I have never been, yet. But from my friends that have you need to be a floating gas tank!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default trip of a lifetime...

I did 3 people in a 22ft Alumaweld 460ci 3 stage w/radical pitched impellers. Left the Yukon bridge with 200 gal & several empty 15's. Made it to Galena in a day...fueled up all jugs...left (plowed) out of Galena with 330 gallons. Hunted upper 3 day for 8 days...shot 2 big bulls. Sold 45 gallons to a guy with an outboard. Plowed water for a mile in the shallows @ 5000rpm before getting on step...had to run it 4200rpm back to Galena. Flew 1600lbs of meat out of Galena, fueled up with 200 gallons and made it back to the bridge.

Understand your boats weight carring capacity...make sure you are well maintained...travel light as fuel & meat will put your boat to the test.

Watch out for the "friendly" natives.

Default Koyukuk

I run from the Yukon bridge the Koyukuk every other year. It is a long haul and not for the faint of heart or thin wallet. If you have a better idea of what you want to do I could probably give you some ideas of time and gas involved. PM me if you want.

P.S. If you have a Sport Jon you'll never make it.

-Eric

Clean up after yourself afterwards, no trash left behind.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!