Thread: need advice for 3 week backpack trip

Default need advice for 3 week backpack trip

Seeking comments on a trip in the planning stages. The three of us fly into Ketchican first week of July, we will have the ability to rent cars or take rains along the way, we plan to use the AK Marine ferry to head North we will be carrying our backpacking gear only. So basically a backpacking Marine Ferry trip for 3 weeks starting in Ketchican. Any suggetions from the experienced along this route would be appreciated. (we are seasoned backpackers and have camped the interior of AK before). Best places to visit, camp, hiking, fishing, train? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m_freeman View Post

take rains along the way,
    That is all you need to know............

So, let me get this straight. You're starting in Ketchican and staying within the South East area Alaska Marine Hwy system. Or are you heading farther north than Yakutat/Haines? There's only three sailings doing that in July. Same coming back. The ferry schedule is pretty limited in the South Central area, but once you get there you can rent a car. The train option leaves from Seward and heads to Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks. That's pretty limited, and if there are three of you, renting a car will likely save you money and give you more flexibility.

There are some hiking opportunities along the coast, but they are limited. More options as you move inland. That's not possible in SE AK though. Personally, I would start from either Anchorage or Fairbanks if hiking/camping was my goal. SE AK is great but limited for hikers. Would be more fun if you were kayakers.

thanks for the replies, definately things to consider. It's all in the planning stage now, the only things for sure in the itinerary is we are flying into and out of Ketchican with backpacks in July and we have 3 weeks of time. Looking to do a little fishing along the way, hiking, camping, cabins, motels, ferries, trains. Yes the plan is to head North to? not sure yet.

If flying in & out of Ketchikan with only 3 weeks I would stay in the S.E. AK area. Plenty to do and see down there. The only train heads out of Skagway to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. It's a short trip but most people use it to hike one way over Chilkoot Pass and take the train back. You will need a passport to get into and out of Canada though. You can get a boat to drop you off in Glacier Nat. Park and spend a few days there. And there are plenty of islands to explore in Tongas Nat. Forest.

Heading north from S.E. AK and back will require some tight scheduling if using the ferry. I'd recommend flying if you are determined to head north.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    If flying in & out of Ketchikan with only 3 weeks I would stay in the S.E. AK area. Plenty to do and see down there. The only train heads out of Skagway to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. It's a short trip but most people use it to hike one way over Chilkoot Pass and take the train back. You will need a passport to get into and out of Canada though. You can get a boat to drop you off in Glacier Nat. Park and spend a few days there. And there are plenty of islands to explore in Tongas Nat. Forest.

Heading north from S.E. AK and back will require some tight scheduling if using the ferry. I'd recommend flying if you are determined to head north.
    Jim you get the basic plan. Yes I am beginning to realize how tight the scheduling will be using the ferry, we do want the ferry to be a part of the trip. We got a great deal on airfare in and out of Ketchican though. Right now I am figuring GBNP is the Northern limit conidering our timeframe. As I mentioned we would have the ability to rent a vehicle locally and or local ferries a well, maybe fly if not too expensive. We are experienced backpackers and have camped the interior of AK before so we feel confident in our skills for somewhat limited adventure a few days in the GBNP wilderness would be perfect. What would be other "must visit" locations between Ketchican and the Glacier Bay NP?