Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Rifle

Default Mountain Rifle

Finally Made it home! My 280 AI built on my original Ti Remington Action, It weighs 5 lbs. 13.5 oz w/ scope and rings. Jewel Trigger @ 2.5 lbs., Lilja #2 contour -skip fluted w/ removable brake, and cerakoted in grey. Built by Lex at Rifles Inc.

I know a few have seen it, but thought maybe other sheephunters might here on the forum.

Wow nice gun,one day I'll get a custom mountain gun made.I bet a ram is gonna sure hate that thing this fall!!

beauty. how are the ballistics on an ackley improved? similiar to a .308??

Great looking rifle Kaha, in a sweet caliber too.

That is a beautiful rifle. If it is possible for a rifle to be sexy, then I would say you have achieved just that. Let me know if you find a good load that is working for you. I don't have any experience with this caliber but I won a Kimber Montana .280 AI a few weeks ago at the DU banquet and I don't really know where to start with reloading. From what I can see in my research it appears that it is very similar to the ballistics of the 7MM rem mag, but most people say that there is substantially less recoil.

The latest Nosler book has loads for the 280 AI. I plan to start w/ 160 Accubonds over Reloader 22 but there are a number of solid options.

Awesome looking rifle Kaha!!

What was your thought on having the pull at 2.5lbs? Why not lower? Such a light little thing is hard to keep still.

Great package. Triggers are funny, pull weight isn't everything. Just so long as your sight picture isn't effected by it. I have one trigger I did that I would swear was lighter and one I'd swear was heavier, but put a scale on them and "it just don't make no sense." But then either trigger does the job and effects the sight picture far less than my heartbeat (Ie. basically not noticable at reasonible field power settings).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I have to confess, I've never seen skip fluting before. That's very unique, and I like the looks of it. How does skip fluting compare to normal full length fluting. Is the fluting depth more in skip fluting than straight fluting or about the same? Curious if there are any pro's and con's between skip and straight. Cooling surface area? Barrel rigidity? Surface area for cooling would seem less in the skip fluting unless the flutes are deeper in skip. I think I'd rather clean a straight flute though. I still love the look!

Not sure I understand why you went with a muzzle brake though. 280AI isn't really a stiff recoiling caliber.

Please trust I am just being curious and not critical. I've never had a custom rifle made, and your rifle/scope combo is definitely lighter than my Kimber Montana 7mm-08 rig. I had to learn how to best shoot my Montana for the best accuracy, and I anticipate your light rifle will probably tell you what it wants too.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Skip fluting would certainly lessen any torsional stresses, but beyond that I can't imagine (and I doubt torsional stresses are any kind of a problem at any rate).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

HuntKodiak, Check out this website. Twisted Barrel He did the bolt fluting for my Christensen 300 RUM. He has allot of really cool designs. Some of this stuff is more for looks and less for functionality.

As for the triggers, I put a 1 lb. jewel trigger in mine. Some people say thats too light, but after shooting with it, I wouldn't want anything else. I am attaching some pics of my Christensen carbon 300 rum and the new Kimber.

Thanks for the loading info Lujon.

Kahahawai, how long was the turnaround time on your rifle?

IMG_2117.jpgIMG_2118.jpg

kahahawai, I was just looking through your photos and must say that I am very impressed. Beautiful animals. I may have to pick your brain sometime on sheep hunting. Thanks for posting the pics for us to see. 907

Very nice rifle! That turned out great.

Nice rig. I dont like the barrel but thats just me. COngrats on a great ltwt rifle and good luck sheep hunting.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

That's a nice looking rifle Kaha!.....glad you have seen the light on weight rifles!.....grin

Figured I would throw in your post from last June........hmmmm
    "Yes you can still kill a sheep with a rifle that weighs hardly anything, but I will sacrifice days of pain for that split second of glory, I know most long range shooting rifles are rather on the heavy side, but through my years of shooting experience there has to be a "happy medium" ....the most ideal rifle for sheep would be around 7 pounds, give or take.... I have learned that super light rifles don't group well (IMO) but that maybe different to some."

Beautiful Chuck! Going to be a sweet setup for the mountains this fall!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

once you get it broken in, tell us how it shoots. Purdy is only soo good. Hope it lives up to the pictures. J.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Figured I would throw in your post from last June........hmmmm
    "Yes you can still kill a sheep with a rifle that weighs hardly anything, but I will sacrifice days of pain for that split second of glory, I know most long range shooting rifles are rather on the heavy side, but through my years of shooting experience there has to be a "happy medium" ....the most ideal rifle for sheep would be around 7 pounds, give or take.... I have learned that super light rifles don't group well (IMO) but that maybe different to some."

Hahahaha! Classic, Ramhunter. Thanks.
    This forum is much about learning. Would be a great help to all of us if you also posted the total outlay of cash for this rifle.........from first purchase to final product. Future serious sheep hunters, even current ones, could use cost info for future decisions.
    Thanks, Kaha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Most folks have a hard time shooting lightweight rifles. Piss poor shooting habits really show when shooting a lightwieght rifle. Nice looking rifle though best of luck.

Yes It was't cheap, but It was significantly cheaper than buying a bansners rifle, and the turn around time was 6 months as compared to a year. I am not a fan of Muzzle brakes, but My daughter got spoiled shooting a friends custom 257 Wby during a youth elk hunt in WY a few years ago, and now prefers them despite how loud they get. So many of you ask why I did it???...the answer is simple, I wanted something more personal in a special caliber comparable to the 7mm (my favorite caliber) Yes I may have been contradicting, but actually NOT ....to prove my point, this rifle will be the ideal weight (6.5 -7 pounds) once I throw on the sling and cartridges. scope cover etc. etc....Yes I wanted to cut weight too in the pack, but I want it to shoot well. Lex could've easily lightened this rifle even more ( lighter contour barrel, skeletonized bolt handle) There are lighter ones around, I heard there are some coming in at the low 4 pound range, but I personally probably wouldn't shoot it well. Hope to see you all at the range, should be hittin it this week. ......CK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast