Thread: Seward fishing help?

Default Seward fishing help?

Ok so I have been perusing the posts and have seen over the years that this has been asked alot... but cant find what i am looking for. I grew up in the soldtotna area and have therefore done alot of kenai river fishing, but recently bought a 18 foot sportsman that I intend to use on the kenai and also use out of seward or deep creek for some halibut. So two questions:
    1- am I better off launching with the tractor at deep creek or running down to the launch in homer?
    2- Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go fishing. My family is moving out of state in two week and i would really like to have some fresh halibut to send with them, as well as give my young brother a chance to get out and catch some fish.
    This past week I went out of seward, to get the boat in some water and see the sights. We dropped a line in a few spots, with no luck! I am now thinking of buying a 3d card for my depthfinder... heard that helps see structure on the bottom.
    As you can see i am completely a novice at this, any help would be appreciated! I could maybe even take someone out in exchange for some good tips on where to go.
    Thanks all

If you like to chace salmon in the salt you should be trolling off of Anchore Pt right now! You will get all the halibut you can use when you are trolling. If you fish aroud the south marker off Anchor Pt back to Bluff Pt there are lots of places to catch you halibut with your boat. Where you launch be it Homer or Anchor Pt is up to you just watch the weather. Good Luck!

Ill have to check it out! Do you know anything about the launch there at anchor or deep creek? I dont have the guides on my trailer yet so likely wont do the tractor thing this season, thinking about driving down and trying to launch in the river at high tide, if i dont like it i may just head down to homer, was thinking bout maybe running over to halibut cove or something. that seems close enough.
    I know alot of people take small boats like mine, just dont want to take any risks in my first couple times out.
    thanks for the reply

I think you'd have an easier time of it launching at Homer until you get more familiar with the area. catching Halibut on Salmon Trolling gear can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time of it launching at Homer until you get more familiar with the area. catching Halibut on Salmon Trolling gear can be a lot of fun.
    Anywhere you would suggest going out of homer that you wouldnt mind sharing?

Not sure why they call it halibut cove not alot of fish there. Your best bet is past the bluff in the direction of Anchor Pt. I like fishing in 35ft of water or less use lots ob bait and herring oil be bring them to you it takes time! Or troll and cover lots of ground if you keep one rod close to the bottom you will get some halibut. If you keep track of the places you pick up halibut you will start to put together where halibut may hang out. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by boatingRN View Post
    Ok so I have been perusing the posts and have seen over the years that this has been asked alot... but cant find what i am looking for. I grew up in the soldtotna area and have therefore done alot of kenai river fishing, but recently bought a 18 foot sportsman that I intend to use on the kenai and also use out of seward or deep creek for some halibut. So two questions:
    1- am I better off launching with the tractor at deep creek or running down to the launch in homer?
    2- Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go fishing. My family is moving out of state in two week and i would really like to have some fresh halibut to send with them, as well as give my young brother a chance to get out and catch some fish.
    This past week I went out of seward, to get the boat in some water and see the sights. We dropped a line in a few spots, with no luck! I am now thinking of buying a 3d card for my depthfinder... heard that helps see structure on the bottom.
    As you can see i am completely a novice at this, any help would be appreciated! I could maybe even take someone out in exchange for some good tips on where to go.
    Thanks all
    I would also recommend going out of Homer if you're just getting used to your boat in the salt. There are lots of halibut within easy boating distance of the harbor. Like in the order of 10 miles or less. There isn't a lot of structure out in this area of K-Bay and finding halibut is mostly a game of going out to a spot, trying it for 15 or 20 minutes and if you don't catch anything just moving a mile or so. If you do this enough you should find some fish.

Generally speaking you'll want to head out into the area where you're in around 120 ft. of water out from the Bluffs. There are a LOT of halibut that hang out in this area feeding on needlefish and crabs that are hanging out near the bottom.

Another good spot for halibut is off of Seldovia Point. Halibut hang out in water anywhere from about 90 ft. all the way out to where it drops off to 250 ft. or so. People routinely pick up halibut in the "chicken" range all the way up to 60 or 70 lbs. or so. Occasionally you'll hear of one even bigger. So you never know.

The other nice thing about fishing either area is that there are plenty of kings hanging around all year long near both spots. Off the Bluffs you can troll for kings after you get your halibut if you head in to where it's about 70 ft. deep and just troll some cut plug herring, or some sort of a spoon or spinner (my favorites are Tee-Spoons and Northern Kings, but just about any spinner or spoon will work). This also applies to the area west of Seldovia Bay out to Point Pogibshi (Pogi). Lots of kings to be had hanging out there.
    There are also a number of areas even closer to the harbor than going all the way to the Bluffs or Pogi. The outside of Yukon Is., outside of Anisom Pt. and also Glacier Spit inside of the bay.

Hope that helps!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

that helps a great deal! I have taken the boat in seward but got skunked, just went out around the back of fox island and back in. was a great day for sight seeing.
    I have been on alot of charter out of deep creek and homer and just never payed that much attention.
    If i head out towards seldovia then, is there a time of day that weather typically gets bad? i know they say in seward to not stay out to late. I will of course check the marine forecast and look at the water before i launch

that helps a great deal! I have taken the boat in seward but got skunked, just went out around the back of fox island and back in. was a great day for sight seeing.
    I have been on alot of charter out of deep creek and homer and just never payed that much attention.
    If i head out towards seldovia then, is there a time of day that weather typically gets bad? i know they say in seward to not stay out to late. I will of course check the marine forecast and look at the water before i launch
    Yeah, actually here in Homer the typical weather pattern during the summer is for an afternoon breeze that will blow from the west or sw which makes it kind of nice when you go out toward Seldovia because when you head back in you'll have a following sea and not be crashing through waves head on. But I certainly wouldn't say the weather typically "gets bad" so to speak---just more wind wave action. And as I've said many times before, the marine forecast is typically not very accurate. It's a good indicator of what things might look like, but not very accurate precisely. I like to look at a number of indicators such as the current weather at the end of the Spit (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=hmra2), what things look like at Flat Island (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fila2) and also the wave height buoy up at Anchor Pt. (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46108) and then kind of put it all together in my mind to figure out what's going on out there. You'll get pretty good about figuring things out doing that, but it certainly isn't infallible. LOL!

Even if you paid attention on those charters you took you still might not know exactly where you were fishing. Often times if you are fishing a particular structure if you're off by even 100 yards or so you just aren't going to catch any fish, or you'll just pull in chicken after chicken. So getting to know your fish/depth finder can be very important. Getting the 3D option for yours might not be a bad idea. I don't have that on my fish finder, but I have a chip that Navionics used to produce (and I say "used to" because apparently they don't offer it any longer) that shows depth contours so you can extrapolate the structure from that. I have found a number of spots using that that produce some really nice halibut. I've always thought about getting a unit that has that function because it sure looks like a wonderful tool to have at hand.

BTW---if you are coming down to Homer to fish and I'm not chartering that day I'd be more than happy to get together with you and give you some personal coaching.

[/QUOTE] BTW---if you are coming down to Homer to fish and I'm not chartering that day I'd be more than happy to get together with you and give you some personal coaching.[/QUOTE]

I would appreciate that. I personally dont mind putting in the time and learning all the tips and tricks over a season or two. however, my wife and i disagree on that.. shes not quite as willing to just enjoy the time in the boat haha. it took a while to convince her to let me even buy one, so now i have to make sure she doesnt regret it lol

Lots of great advice here already! I'll add a few thoughts:

I had a 16' Klamath for a while and on good days we would go out around the spit and start trolling flasher/hoochie combo with a big deep six. We never did catch any salmon but we caught 10-15 lb. halibut all day long that way. During the late fall they say you can catch silvers that way and I suspect the kings going to the fishing hole on the spit may be caught that way.

Later in the summer, say mid-late July through August, that run you took out to Fox Island is my favorite fishing, lots of silvers and pinks will be out that way. Troll around to find them or mooch if there schooled up. They'll be around the islands, check the points and tide rips.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

I had a 16' Klamath for a while and on good days we would go out around the spit and start trolling flasher/hoochie combo with a big deep six. We never did catch any salmon but we caught 10-15 lb. halibut all day long that way. During the late fall they say you can catch silvers that way and I suspect the kings going to the fishing hole on the spit may be caught that way.

Later in the summer, say mid-late July through August, that run you took out to Fox Island is my favorite fishing, lots of silvers and pinks will be out that way. Troll around to find them or mooch if there schooled up. They'll be around the islands, check the points and tide rips.
    fox island was pretty nice when i was out there, only fished for maybe 30 minutes before the swells started to worry me. I was paranoid they were going to throw me into a rock or something. I was anchored up pretty close, someone told me that it should be good for rockfish there... no luck tho. have you cough rockfish there?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

Some people will troll out near the mouth of the inlet/outlet into The Fishing Hole to try and intercept those incoming kings and silvers, and I've heard of people trolling around Land's End to get them too, but in all the times I've tried it I haven't caught a thing. It may be because they are pretty much into their spawning mode and just not biting actively. If you're looking for kings your best bet are those areas I mentioned before. The fish you see me holding in my "avatar" picture was a 26 pounder I caught within a 10 minute boat ride from the harbor.

One popular spot for halibut not far from the Spit which limon32 may be referring to is called "Main St. Hole" because if you go out and look for Main St. in town and go out to about 60 ft. and deeper of water there are supposedly a lot of chickens that hang out in that area. I've never tried it myself, but you'll see other boats in the area. The problem with going out around the Spit is that it is really shallow for quite a way out from shore.

And that south face of Fox Island out of Seward used to pretty much be my home away from home from about the beginning of July until there just weren't any silvers anymore. That was by far my favorite spot to troll (and mooch) for silvers, too. I'm not sure what it is there that they like, but on a good day limiting out there was never a problem. And you can get some really nice swells there. The nice thing is the islands pretty much intercept those swells and fishing inside becomes a real good option. I used to catch some pretty nice silvers on the north end of Fox, too.

We've caught a couple rockfish there but it gets hammered real hard all summer. The salmon come and go of course so it doesn't get "fished out" like a resident species (rockfish). For salmon I rarely fish closer than a 100 yards from the rocks, I don't even like getting that close. I'd concentrate on learning Homer until you start seeing reports on Silvers out of Seward.

Typically speaking, timing is everything when fishing in AK. You asked about halibut in the next 2 weeks. That said I'd head south to Homer area where you should find fish in less than 120' of water and less than 15 miles out.

Seward I'd expect to have to go at least 15 miles and need to fish about 300' deep and maybe find fish. If the water was good you could head on out say 35+miles and find fish in 100' of water.

That said, imo Homer usually has more chop than Seward that may affect you more in an 18' boat. Either place you go I would plan to go out early and return in early afternoon as a general rule. If the water cooperates you can always stay out longer.

Anywhere you would suggest going out of homer that you wouldnt mind sharing?
    anywhere along the Bluff closer down towards Anchor pt in about 30 ft of water... find kinda an open spot in the kelp toss the hook, and get some herring smell in the water.. I've even caught kings on halibut rigs setting there. You may want to buy a Homer Halibut derby ticket if you go there... There are some monster "kelp mama's" that have come out of the kelp there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    anywhere along the Bluff closer down towards Anchor pt in about 30 ft of water... find kinda an open spot in the kelp toss the hook, and get some herring smell in the water.. I've even caught kings on halibut rigs setting there. You may want to buy a Homer Halibut derby ticket if you go there... There are some monster "kelp mama's" that have come out of the kelp there.
    Just a word of caution if you decide to go into the kelp---if you get in too thick the kelp will clog up the water intake of your outboard and it can take you forever to get out again. I know this from experience and believe me, it is not a whole lot of fun. But it can be killer for halibut. I've put limits of 40 lb. plus halibut in my boat and as Old John says, there often are some BIG halibut that hangout there at times.