Thread: Does anyone have experience with Kifaru KU 5200?

Default Does anyone have experience with Kifaru KU 5200?

I own a KUIU Icon with the 6000Ci bag and like the pack but the carbon fame has a crack after not even a year of use. I packed out a whole boned caribou ~ 120lbs from the haul road and the pack did ok last year but it did flex a lot. I have also owned Gregory and have hunting parteners with arcteryx and mystery ranch packs which both handle loads very well but are far to heavy IMO. I use my pack more than the average hunter with many hunting, backpacking, pack rafting and other trips during the year and want a pack that can take heavy loads and a little bit of abuse. I want to take a look at the KU 5200 before I drop $700-800 dollars on the pack and the accessories. The thing I am most worried about is the ability of the pack to withstand nasty bush-wacking to get above tree-line on sheep and goat hunts without rips and tears. We all realize that the pack is not cordura like most other hunting packs, but will it stand up to some brush? If anyone in the anchorage area has one I would really appreciate it if I could take a look at the pack and get your feed back. There is a beer in it for you.

First off, I really wish I had a KU 5200, because I really enjoy free beer. I just ordered my first Kifaru product, a DT1. After doing A LOT of research on what I would consider the perfect mountain pack, I ended up ordering this one. MR packs are great, but just too heavy IMO. If you want to get some good first hand knowledge of the KU 5200, check out www.rokslide.com. I was just turned on to this forum a couple months ago and have already picked up a ton of info. Good luck, and remember Kifaru is 100% USA made, and from my research, customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to them.

Thanks for the info AK,
    I have done a great deal of research myself. I chose the KUIU mostly due to the internal boned meat cell, which by the way works very well. I am normally a backpack hunter and bone pretty much all my meat so this meat cell is fantastic in that all the meat does not ball up at the bottom of your pack. That being said I still want the KU 5200 given my problems with the icon frame and KUIU's customer service is pretty darn slow also. They told me I may have to wait until the end of July to get my pack back. If I do have to wait that long I will be raising a stink and trying to get some or all of my money back on the pack.

The good news is my pack showed up today on my door step today!

Default hey

Just saw your post here. Did you get any help with this pack yet? Shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you out.
    Jason

Default hey

Just saw your post here. Did you get any help with this pack yet? Shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you out.
    Jason

plentycoupe, I will work on getting enough post so I can PM until then..Mike