Thread: online fishing and camping

Default online fishing and camping

hi folks, a group of 4 fishing and working buddies are coming to the kenai peninsula in mid july for 3 weeks fishing but have some work and family comitments, not the best way to enjoy our trip but thats that. anyway is there a roaming network where we can go online without hijacking someones wifi and get a decent fone coverage, i know its alaska and dont expact to get coverage all the time. we will be fishing beside most of the towns at one point or other,seaward,homer,soldotna and anchorage. thanks for reading. rgds salty

You should find wireless networks all over. AT&T should have good data coverage as well as ACS. ACS partners with Verizon. If you have a national roaming plan you should have no problem. There's good wireless coverage over most of the Kenai Peninsula.

A sure bet is to talk to ACS and look into a MI-FI I don't know if they offer a short term plan but I picked one up a year ago and it travels with me every place I go including the K Pen, Will not help you with phone but it does a reasonable job with with the internet.

thanks for the quick reply guys, i will start my search tonight and see what my options are. we have just 1 network here in scotland, (3G) for mobile internet, there is a small chance our local network here can set us up but failing that a stop off in achorage at a fone shop might fix us up. thanks again.

Your GSM phone from scotland won't roam on ACS because it's a different cellular technology. it may roam on AT&T's GSM network, but there is only spotty 3g coverage around the Kenai, and it most likely will be using 2.5G (EDGE) because Europe's 3G is different. If you go to ACS they will want to sell you a two year contract with their mobile devices. I'm not sure if they offer short term contracts. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by salty nuts View Post
    hi folks, a group of 4 fishing and working buddies are coming to the kenai peninsula in mid july for 3 weeks fishing but have some work and family comitments, not the best way to enjoy our trip but thats that. anyway is there a roaming network where we can go online without hijacking someones wifi and get a decent fone coverage, i know its alaska and dont expact to get coverage all the time. we will be fishing beside most of the towns at one point or other,seaward,homer,soldotna and anchorage. thanks for reading. rgds salty
    If your phone is unlocked and if it uses the same band as AT&T you can get a pre paid sim and pay as you go. Also some McDonald's around the state offer free wifi and most coffee shops.