Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: commercial shrimping PWS

Default commercial shrimping PWS

Is it true the PWS shrimp trawlers got 81,000 pounds of shrimp this year? I didn't know there was any commercial shrimp trawl fishery. Am I missing something??

It was open last spring as well. I think this is a mistake to open it to the commercial boys. They will destroy yet another fishery.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../128486824.pdf

Southeast

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../128486824.pdf

PWS EO to extend season because they didn't reach quota.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../119444958.pdf

Original opener notice.

I don't know about trawl but there is a pot fishery for sure.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1594&year=2012
    Just to keep this real, here's the link with numbers for PU and Commies.

Yeah, there is a max combined harvest. They will shut it down early if that limit is reached. It's not like the commercial guys are out there destroying the ocean with this. It's a pretty small and controlled fishery for both PU and commercial gear.

That trawl fishery has been going on for years I believe. They generally target the northern shrimp and side striped shrimp where the pot fishery targets the coon stripe and big spots.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

How do they trawl for shrimp? I would be interested in seeing a setup - if anyone has a pik or two.

I didn't know that there was a trawl fishery either..

Fellas, as spoiled one notes, the trawl fishery for shrimp has been going on out there for decades. The do not target spot shrimp, but rather trawl for sidestripe shrimp (primarily). Furthermore, they generally trawl in depths of 1,200-2,000'+. We've often had to move our sablefish longline gear because of the trawlers, but there is no competition here with the personal use or sport shrimp fishery - not in areas, nor in species.

Wasn't it open last year to commercial shrimping with pots. Somebody had told me this but maybe I misunderstood. I do remember seeing a few larger vessels in the whittier harbor last year that had over 100 pots on board (and no, they weren't king crab pots) which is definitely more than the standard and allowed 5. Has anybody else heard of a commercial opening with pots?

There is a commercial pot fishery in PWS as well as a trawl fishery. The few boats with 50 pots on board are the commercial pot guys. I seem to remember from reading the reports on ADFG last year that there were only a few (50-100) boats registered for this fishery.

With the cost of fuel, pots and bait, I don't see how they make any $$ in the commercial pot fishery and I suspect its just a good tax write off for the fishermen who do other thing once the salmon show up.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Wasn't it open last year to commercial shrimping with pots. Somebody had told me this but maybe I misunderstood. I do remember seeing a few larger vessels in the whittier harbor last year that had over 100 pots on board (and no, they weren't king crab pots) which is definitely more than the standard and allowed 5. Has anybody else heard of a commercial opening with pots?
    It was a 40 pot per boat limit last year. This year they are allowed 50 pots(combining limits per boat is not allowed) per boat and as of last week there were 6 boats fishing. The quota this year for the commercial pot fishery is aprox 51,000lbs and the fishing will remain open till the quota is caught or the season ends on sept 15. The area open this year is down in the SW part of the sound, jackpot, icy & whale bay areas.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There is a commercial pot fishery in PWS as well as a trawl fishery. The few boats with 50 pots on board are the commercial pot guys. I seem to remember from reading the reports on ADFG last year that there were only a few (50-100) boats registered for this fishery.

With the cost of fuel, pots and bait, I don't see how they make any $$ in the commercial pot fishery and I suspect its just a good tax write off for the fishermen who do other thing once the salmon show up.
    And a write off for the rec fishermen who think they are commercial fishermen, i'd bet there are more rec guys registered for the comm fishery than true commercial fishermen. I've heard it from more than one rec guy "i have a shrimp permit now i can write my boat off for the season"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How do they trawl for shrimp? I would be interested in seeing a setup - if anyone has a pik or two.

I didn't know that there was a trawl fishery either..
    I don't have any pics but i think there are only 2 boats registered for the sound trawl fishery, it may be that its a limited entry thing and no other boats are allowed or maybe nobody bothers with it with the small quota.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

The commerical pot fishery had 81 boats sign up while last year there was 89 boats. The shrimping has not been that productive. Large ice flows have been taking a lot of gear. Pot builder is right about the high cost of fuel and the distant you have to go is making an impact. The last day I fished was April 26.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    And a write off for the rec fishermen who think they are commercial fishermen, i'd bet there are more rec guys registered for the comm fishery than true commercial fishermen. I've heard it from more than one rec guy "i have a shrimp permit now i can write my boat off for the season"
    I know one retired commercial fisherman who is for sure doing this.
    He was a highliner seiner now retired. His boat is smaller nowadays but he needs a small fishery like this just so he can continue to write off the current boat.
    I doubt he makes a dime off of this. More than likely he loses money from the fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Not only can you lose money, and you can use alot more pots to fill your freezer with shrimp! I know some guys who salmon fish the sound that run shrimp gear all summer long. I love the shrimp they bring back. Nothing better then a 50lb box of vac packed tails

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I have to tell you I considered that idea.... but the extra gear and the fact that my coast guard documentation says unknown for origin of the boat has stopped me. Along with the fact that if I did it I would have to try to make $$ at it and run my self ragged trying. I just can not bring myself to enter into an endeavor to loose $$ regardless of what it might do to my taxes. I still write the boat off as a second home so that is probably better than what I could loose commercial shrimping.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The New Wave has been traweling for shrimp in the Sound for decades. You can run by his boat in Whittier to see what gear he uses but don't be too close, you might catch something. He also owns the oyster farm on South Perry I believe.

Sounds to me, as a non-commercial guy of any kind, that ADF&G ought to be commended for the managment of that fishery? I see lots of sport guys posting up pictures of buckets of shrimp and there has been an on-going commercial fishery?

Have personal-use shrimp catch rates dropped since the commercial fishery began?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Have personal-use shrimp catch rates dropped since the commercial fishery began?
    How could the shrimp rates not drop for the personal-use shrimper? I think you have to look at it as a simple equation. You take 51,000 pounds (commercial pot fishery quota- per Potbuilder) out of the territory(PWS) that we are using as our personal-use fishery. If you figure ten tails make a pound, then thats 510,000 shrimp. I may be wrong on the tail weight though.
    I'm sure there are allot of shrimp in the PWS but no person can tell me that the commercial boys don't make the rate drop on our catches. That would be like telling me that the commercial fisherman out of Cordova aren't making the spawn rates drop on the Copper River salmon runs. They have now cut the Klutina River down to 1 king per year. When are they gonna wake up?
    As BrianM stated earlier- "there is no competition here with the personal use or sport shrimp fishery - not in areas, nor in species." Although he said this about the trawl fishery, this is very much untrue as it pertains to the personal-use pot fishery. ~907~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast