Thread: Question about Raft registration

Default Question about Raft registration

Hi, I'm new to rafting but a few days ago, I bought a used Sevylor HF360 12 foot inflatable raft on Craigslist which came with a 30 pound thrust trolling motor. My question is Do I have to register the raft? I intend to use the raft for the occasional lake trout and pike fishing only. I would like to take the kids out fishing on this raft this weekend, but don't want to end up with a ticket. I read somewhere that you need to register the raft only if you are using a gas powered motor. In this case, I'm am using an electric trolling motor but I really don't know. I could be wrong. Any help or info. would be great. Thanks in advance.

You are right. You only need to register it if you put a gas motor on it. I got a ticket the first time I used a motor on my raft on the middle Kenai. Put some life jackets on the kids and good luck! Rafts are so much fun, you will a blast with your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee04 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to rafting but a few days ago, I bought a used Sevylor HF360 12 foot inflatable raft on Craigslist which came with a 30 pound thrust trolling motor. My question is Do I have to register the raft? I intend to use the raft for the occasional lake trout and pike fishing only. I would like to take the kids out fishing on this raft this weekend, but don't want to end up with a ticket. I read somewhere that you need to register the raft only if you are using a gas powered motor. In this case, I'm am using an electric trolling motor but I really don't know. I could be wrong. Any help or info. would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Here in Alaska, even an electric motor is considered a mechanical device for propulsion... therefore in terms of Registration - your boat with motor of any kind must show registration, show AK #s, and you must have the certificate on board at all times.

Give this a read from the authority: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/boat.htm#def

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll have to run to the DMV on Monday, but here's another question. How am I supposed to provide owner to get the certificate since I bought it on Craigslist? Do I go back to the owner and get a bill of sale? I'm curious because the previous owner didn't have any tag or certificate of any sort. By the way, he said that he was in the Marines so I would assume he must have known the regulations having the raft and trolling motor for several years before selling it to me.

If it has never been registered, then approach the DMV as the "original" owner .

You could go in with an "affidavit of ownership." Look in the link provided by 338WM for the documents required. The last one is the affidavit. Basically your name, serial # of raft, description of raft, date of purchase, and whom you purchased from.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot Monday.

Went to the DMV and the Clerk had me fill out the Registration as well as the Affidavit of Ownership form. I just told her that I bought off Craigslist two weeks ago. To confirm my question, I asked the clerk and she did say that even a trolling motor needed to be registered. $44 seemed pretty steep for a raft registration but got it anyways since we one our way to the lake.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.