Thread: Kenai Reds on July 21st

Default Kenai Reds on July 21st

Hey Guys,

Im taking the wife on a king charter the weekend of the 21st. i know the reds will be peaking then as well. where should i fish? im a veteran of the montana creek conflict so i think id be feelin at home on the kenai. just need a shove in the right direction

Every year is different, but the second run should be in by then. Go look at the old runs and dates on the F&G website.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Red fishing is a blast. When they are in you can catch fish all day. Ive never seen anything like it. Try the Kenai or kasilof around that time.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

ok mabey i should have been more specific. i already know the reds run in the kenai and kasilof. i also already know the peak run times. i was wondering where the particular fishing spots are. im not looking for your secret hole, just a place where i can get some good combat fishing done.

Bouncin the Beav.... not for the faint of heart, esp for the boat operator during a hot bite.

The mega-pack of boats jockeying rod-tip to rod-tip in there sometimes reminds me of a seething mass of maggots on a washed up sockeye carcass in September.

It's a sight to behold when the cream of the cream is in there doing their thing.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

If you're going to be hoofin it instead of floatin on top of it. Take the ferry across and hit the high bank - that'll git some hooks in yur hide real kwik like!~

If'n that isn't nuff fer ya - head on to Swiftwater and stand on the planks with the newbie terrorists - that'll git ya some steel in your shorts too!

On your way back north stop at the Bings to do some flings - then head north further and stop on in the ole snaggin hole on the loop - use a trebble hook - cast and snap - watch for the trooper in the woods with his bino's tho - he gets some every day I think.

thanks dude. your a jack*****

I don't fish that way much at all but do know that no one knows where the fish will be on that specific day. There are numerous different points of access all along the river and once the main push hits you kind of have to guess how far they will make it before you decide where to go. To far north or south and you might not see much of anything.

Reminds me of a caribou hunt years ago. I stopped by a guys camp in a big valley and we got to talking. We had covered 50 miles and hadn't seen a single animal. The guy said he hadn't seen a single animal all day either. He then pointed to the antlers and game bags next to his camp and with a big grin said "but you should have seen it yesterday!!"

Any where on the river . When they're in you can catch them any where on the river. Just look where others are fishing and its a good bet they are there for a reason....

In my experience the 21st is always a poppin weekend. Try centennial or the campground near Fred Meyers but be there early if you need a spot for the night.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

hey TWB thanks for the sraight answer. we'll be on the river for the whole weekend and only king fishing one day. im stoked to try my hand at flipping for some reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    thanks dude. your a jack*****
    That guy told you some good places………..so what if he talks like a pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Swift water- that's the name of it. Just be out early.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

ok my bad. i couldnt decipher what he was saying. figured he was just screwing with me. appologies. thanks for all the info guys

Tight Lines!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Arrr! For the first time I be understandin' the lilly-livered posts on this scurvy forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    ok my bad. i couldnt decipher what he was saying. figured he was just screwing with me. appologies. thanks for all the info guys

Tight Lines!
    Well here is what you should get out of it, try fishing the russian, take the ferry across and walk down stream. The next was the Swift Water Camp Ground past Fred Myers in Soldotna. The Third was the loop, and as he stated yes watch out for troopers, they hide in the bush and watch people snag all day long. All three are good places, not really secret spots by any means and more then likely you will be azzzzholes to elbows.

acroos the river from swiftwater is the roatry club lot go out just past the airport then left into the parking lot 5 or 6 bucks