Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cubs and Sows in 16B ??

Default Cubs and Sows in 16B ??

Fellas,
    Just figured a few of you would have some views on the todays news paper article about the new hunting regs in 16b allowing the taking of sows and cubs also the aerial hunting reg. My issue is with the Sows and Cubs. I just don't see the sport in it. I guessing someone out here in AOD land can tell me about the taste of cubs or some good reason for killing them???? I guess the 2yo and above sounds right to me.
    I like the idea of the aerial hunting for Blackies for predator control although I don't know if the region is operable for planes to hunt and land Ie.(beaches, sand bars, flat surfaces). FFT.

Default Black Bears in 16

As far as black bear meat is concerned, you couldn't ask for better tasting meat than that. I usually harvest one bear a year strictly for the meat and use the hides for mittens and crafts. Yes these are taken over bait, and yes I know that this means of harvest is not as sporty as spot and stalk but as long as the law allows then I will continue to use this method to get bear meat. As for the bears in 16, yes there are too many! If you spend any time in that unit, you will quickly see that. The fact that Fish & Game opened this area to taking of multiple bears does not mean that there will be huge numbers harvested. The fact of the matter is that this unit is fairly remote other than the rivers. The rest of the unit is swamp land and thick black spruce stands that go on for miles. The only place to land a plane is on the river drainages or lakes and from there the only means other than spotting one on the river is to bait.

You don't see the sport in killing sows and cubs? Well, yeah, F&G sees it the same way! There is nothing sporting about this whatsoever, and they acknowledged that fact. Instead, it's more of a culling, thus the "predator control program". They just want dead bears, which I understand if you ever been in unit 16a or 16b. No moose.

Not sport-hunting of bears.

It's Ungulate Enhancement.

Default Good Thought Behind It But...

Good thought behind taking more bears for the sake of the moose but, to be perfectly honest, I could not pull the trigger on a sow with cubs and then her cubs....anyone else feel the same?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

It's not about "sport" it's a management kill..........as distasteful as it sounds. That being said, I don't have the stomach to whack a sow and cubs without good reason.

As for wholesale slaughter taking place there, reality says the remoteness and inaccessability will probably make reaching their goal prohibitive.
    Now what ?

Without some incentive to profit from the kill, I'd doubt many will want to take a sow with cubs.
    If they's let folks sell the hides, maybe the gall, then it would be feasible.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Boy those cub black bears sure put a dent in the moose population

I dunno about anyone else here but I spent a summer in unt 16b and every bear I saw was afraid of me or a wimpy dog, I can't imagine what a mad momma moose would do to them, send em into unit 16A I imagine
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

All the bear has to do is bum rush the calf kill it then run away untill momma leaves then its chow time. There is a big diference between a strange animal ie you and dog versus an instictive prey animal to a bear.

Default Here is an idea

Bottom line is we need more moose in our state! Moose bring in more $$$ in this state then all other species together (just made that up).

Predator control works! I can't wait for all the teddy bear lovers to cry on Oprah next week. I wish they would just go out and take care of our predator issues behind close doors.

I think this might be another plan that is to make them look like they are doing something about it, but they are really only blowing smoke up our #$*. Just like the wolf project and the 1 halibut a day plan.

I couldn't kill a Sow with cubs either, I love to hunt bears, and the more cubs she can produce the better. I understand they take their share of calves but so do the wolves, I know its like catch 22, but I have to go with the bears, mainly grizzlies, can't hunt these guys in the lower 48, and to hunt them here in Alaska is a priviledge to me...just my opinion...K

Default Sows & Cubs

Sounds to me like a ready made fur bathrobe and pair of slippers. Or an opportunity for someone who truly wants to put together an Ursus diorama of the family unit in taxidermy. Don't like it? Don't do it, but don't dis others who do. It's the same as shooting Coyotes and wolves...just another varmint.

Default It is not only

It is not only about moose. If the moose are gone then they are going to switch to something else like caribou and sheep. In PWS, where there are few if any moose, the bears come down for a bit to graze then head back up to hunt goat kids when they are born. It will only be a matter of time before many species suffer and then they turn on each other. Which they do anyways. Nothing makes a better meal to an old boar than a young cub. Brown bears love to eat cubs too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default in the regs under predator contol

it is legal to sell the hides untanned even. But this unit is not in there of course, imagine it will be in the new regs. I would rather shoot a boar myself, but what the heck it is legal now and i would shoot anything that walks. But i don't hunt that area so i likely will not get too. I know a guy that him and his buddies shot 5 bears in a weekend leaving from the deshka landing heading down to the deshka. they were boars and most were nice ones.

Default Good intentions...DON'T ALWAYS MAKE GOOD RESULTS

Some of you are in agreement that the taking of mom's and pups isn't the answer to the predatory control issues in 16b. Hopefully someone out here can come up some other good methods to improve upon the system. Ie selling of the hides and aerial hunting.
    My objective is not (in someones words) Dis those who chose take this bogus opportunity, but more so to give the hunter of AOD an opportunity to express their opinion of the matter. By law your good to go if this is the moms and pups opportunity you've been waiting for. Hopefully most hunter with any ethics....well enough preachin'......its just not for me.
    Last edited by plankton; 04-11-2007 at 10:02. Reason: misspelled words....oops

Default whats all the hype about just black bears

I spent several of months in the unit 16 area last year. I did see several black bears, but flying a=in a helicopter every day I seen twice as many grizz than blackies. I do not see many sows taking calf moose, mainly just boars when it comes to black bear, brown bear on the other hand different story. I think the brown bear reduce more of the moose population than the black bear.

My objective is not (in someones words) Dis those who chose take this bogus opportunity,
    Hopefully most hunter with any ethics....well enough preachin'
    You appear to contradict yourself.

Question bear reduction

I'm not familar with this area, but I've noticed in areas that I am, that the bear population is controled as much by large boars, or maybe even more so, than hunters. Since they kill a lot of cubs, reducing the large boars in an area, seem to really multiply the bear numbers, especially the smaller ones. I've seen seasons shortened just to reduce large boar mortality, and bear numbers rose dramatically. Does this area have many large boars?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Boy those cub black bears sure put a dent in the moose population

I dunno about anyone else here but I spent a summer in unt 16b and every bear I saw was afraid of me or a wimpy dog, I can't imagine what a mad momma moose would do to them, send em into unit 16A I imagine
    So what you're saying is that you've never seen a black bear taking a moose? I've seen it only twice. If you don't think black bears eat moose you're not aware of what the food chain is.

i would take a cub. heck yea.

i dont really have enough wall space to spare for a full sized one anyways. the dioramma thing is kinda neat. but i bet it would be pretty expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast