Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou hunts available without a previous year's registration

Default Caribou hunts available without a previous year's registration

I am a dumbass and I forgot to register for Tier I last year. I have my own Airplane (Cessna 170 on 29s) and I have access to several boats. I am willing to do what it takes to put meat in the freezer. That being said, I can't read Encyclopaedia Huntanica (otherwise known as the Alaska Regs).

What hunts am I eligible for?? My translation is that I am only eligible for hunts on the haul road, right?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Matt if you are an Alaska resident you are eligible to hunt caribou just about anywhere. Not sure what you are trying to say when you mention no previous year's registration?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

All the areas of the 40mile hunt are registration hunts. So with a plane or boat you should easily be able to get far enough from the road to avoid the gunfight at the OK corral and get a bou.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Matt if you are an Alaska resident you are eligible to hunt caribou just about anywhere. Not sure what you are trying to say when you mention no previous year's registration?
    Specifically, I didn't apply for a Tier 1 permit prior to 12/31/11, so I cannot hunt the Nelchina herd. Mulchatna is spring only, so ya that leaves Fortymile it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    Specifically, I didn't apply for a Tier 1 permit prior to 12/31/11, so I cannot hunt the Nelchina herd. Mulchatna is spring only, so ya that leaves Fortymile it looks like.
    You applying for a Tier 1 caribou permit has no bearing on your legal ability to hunt caribou as long as there is an open general harvest or registration season.

Having a plane gives you way more access than the vast majority have. Start looking in the hunting regs and find a unit that has a caribou season that you are comfortable flying to and landing in and go for it.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

If I were going to hunt the Fortymile herd with a plane, I'd do it at a time when it's not going to be -35.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    If I were going to hunt the Fortymile herd with a plane, I'd do it at a time when it's not going to be -35.
    Skinny where is the fun in that? I have only gone up there one time and it was -20 or so and we did not see a thing. We did manage to blow the motor on one of the borrowed sleds, got some frost bite, one member of our hunt came pretty close to being kidnapped and used as a sex toy by some old guy living a ways back off the road that was convinced he was a she despite what we said, aside from all of that we had a great time and got to see a lot of new country! Need to get back up there one of these days when it is warmer out and I have more time to explore.

There are also a bunch of herds in the alaska range. Thats probably closer than the tok area. I know a buddy of mine went sheep hunting on a drop off hunt not too far out and was able to get a caribou with just an over the counter harvest tag. There is also an open hunt area just South of Tok that not many people hunt. Check out page 66 of last years regs. You only need a harvest tag for that hunt. It's in the Tok river drainage West of the Glenn HWY.

Good luck.

You got a plane? Uh, NW Arctic, HELLO!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Unit 23 Caribou season opens July 1st so you can wait awhile, or you can hurry here, before it closes on June 30.......Your limited to 5 a day, as a resident. theres only 375,000 caribou in the Western Arctic Caribou Herd (WACH) a 1/2 a Bazillion are passing my village right now. They are streched from the south of us, the Northern Seward Pennesula to the Brooks range just North of here. In Summer, most are North, but Bullsa nd strays linger along the coast and up along ridge tops, in Winter most are around the Seward Pennesula's mountain ridges, and inbetween, they are inbetween......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I tell you what... if you pick me up in a few weeks, when I get back from SNCOA I will help you out! (-;

And it will help me out at the same time!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Mulchatna is spring only now? When did this happen?

Ya... I am a bonehead on that. A buddy of mine pointed out that the hunt I was looking at for Mulchatna was the RC504 Mulchatna registration hunt, not the regular hunt. My mistake totally.

Looks like Mulchatna and Fortymile are my best chances on this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    one member of our hunt came pretty close to being kidnapped and used as a sex toy by some old guy living a ways back off the road that was convinced he was a she despite what we said
    whew, i hate when that happens.....

Ya... I am a bonehead on that. A buddy of mine pointed out that the hunt I was looking at for Mulchatna was the RC504 Mulchatna registration hunt, not the regular hunt. My mistake totally.

Looks like Mulchatna and Fortymile are my best chances on this deal.
    Oh...ok. I haven't kept up with the regs over there so it could have very well been true and I wouldn't have known any better. Yes, unfortunately the, what once was great, Mulchatna herd has not been so great for a long time. But, from what I hear it can still be a fairly good area for a meat hunt. Just don't expect to see trophy bulls walking around everywhere like there used to be. Not that a guy couldn't still find one I'm sure. I miss that place greatly....

I've heard that Adak can be pretty cool, too if you hit a nice weather window. Has jet service right to it and you can rent wheelers, no limit from what I understand, just how much you're willing to pay to fly meat.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I've heard that Adak can be pretty cool, too if you hit a nice weather window. Has jet service right to it and you can rent wheelers, no limit from what I understand, just how much you're willing to pay to fly meat.
    That'd be a pretty long haul for his Cessna......

With a 170 you can hunt all over in northern Alaska. Lots of caribou from one end of the Brooks Range to the other. You think reading Alaska regs is bad, try Montana's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think the fall Fortymile hunt stayed open about two days last year. However, the winter hunt was open for months so a guy with a plane could have easily found a warm window to sneak out into the mountains. Also, no antlers in winter. It's probably fewer air miles from Anchorage to Naknek.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I think the fall Fortymile hunt stayed open about two days last year. However, the winter hunt was open for months so a guy with a plane could have easily found a warm window to sneak out into the mountains. Also, no antlers in winter. It's probably fewer air miles from Anchorage to Naknek.
    I talked to the guys over at Fish and Game, and they said Zone 2 never closed so I guess that is where I am going. They also said for that specific area to go early like right at opening so hopefully they were right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast