Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Classes

Default Reloading Classes

Does anyone know of any reloading classes in the Anchorage area?

Welcome aboard.

Nope, donít think so but there are a lot of guys here that may mentor you to get you started. Iím willing but Iím in Palmer and Iím sure there are willing guys in Anchorage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

There have been a couple of places that have had reloading clinics ( SW and Mt. View Sports ) are a couple that have in the past but they are very irregular. I have offered before to show people how to load and what they need to get started. I'm located in Chugiak so not exactly Anchorage proper but if interested let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by akmikey907 View Post
    Does anyone know of any reloading classes in the Anchorage area?
    Come in and talk to Hans...he is a walking reloading primer and manual

I am pretty sure that Arctic Ammo in Wasilla does some training. Pretty good bunch of guys!

Can you read English? Buy a reloading manual and read it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Reloading manuals are actually available in multiple languages so English really isn't a prerequisite. Honestly I found a ton of great step by step videos on YouTube to help get me started.

Yeah, whether or not you get a mentor or take classes you still need a couple of recent loading manuals. Most of the loading books have a section on how to load, some are much better than others. I haven't read it but "The ABCs of Reloading" is recommended by a lot of people. You can learn to load with just the manuals but a mentor will help with a lot of the little things that aren't in every manual and many folks learn faster by being shown than by reading. If you decide to go it alone you can ask questions here. There are folks here with many years of experience that are willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    There have been a couple of places that have had reloading clinics ( SW and Mt. View Sports ) are a couple that have in the past but they are very irregular. I have offered before to show people how to load and what they need to get started. I'm located in Chugiak so not exactly Anchorage proper but if interested let me know.
    I did not know Mt View Sports did clinics. Good for them.

Sara at Mt View Sports seems to know her stuff and most of the people at Great Northern Guns seem VERY knowledgeable.

I went to two Sportsman's Warehouse clinics, one for gun cleaning and one for reloading. The cleaning clinic was OK and great for a beginner or expert, as the guy doing the teaching seemed to know his stuff and a lot of different firearms. The reloading clinic was a disappointment. The fellow conducting it told me that he was not informed before his shift that he would do the clinic and was basically unprepared.

Might not have been anybody's fault. It was only that one instance, and I don't know if maybe the guy who WAS prepared called in sick or something.

The guys at Alaska Tactical (Muldoon) and Great Northern Security (just north of Old Seward and Tudor) are willing and helpful, but I don't know anything about their loading expertise. But the attitude is promising. Very willing to help.

Here's how I learned. I don't recommend it as the best way, but it worked for me without injury or mishap, but probably a lot riskier and slower than it could have been:

The guy who sold me my first press gave me 6 .357 rounds. He showed me, with a running narrative as he loaded 3 rounds. Then he watched over my shoulder as I loaded the next 3 rounds to make sure I did not blow myself up, load a powderless cartridge or set off a primer in the press. He answered my questions as I loaded.

It took between 30 minutes and an hour to load those six rounds. I could have learned more with a longer mentoring period, but I learned a lot in those first 6 rounds. I educated myself after that. But now, (with "The ABC's of Handloading" and the various loading manuals and attention to detail) and lately, on the internet, I have learned a WHOLE LOT MORE. But in-person, hands-on is still the best.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am just doing some preliminary research because I work in tourism and wont really have the time to get into reloading until the fall after the season is over. I have ordered a reloading manual and once it gets here I am planing on reading it in detail. I just am looking for someone who can walk me through the process the first time or two so I dont screw up. Also I am looking for some suggestions on the most cost effective way to get started with out spend a lot of money. Thanks for the tip about Mountain View sports, next time I am in there I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by akmikey907 View Post
    Also I am looking for some suggestions on the most cost effective way to get started with out spend a lot of money.

What rounds and in what kind of quantities are you thinking you will be loading?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like this guy "Hickok45". He's got a cool personality, and is quite comical and witty at times. As Lujon has stated, there's plenty on youtube, as well as purchasing some reloading manuals.

Dang you mainer... now I kind of want a Dillon... For load workup I don't think there is anything better than my redding T7 but man would that Dillon be nice once I start cranking out plinking loads for my 6.8 or trying to load for my 10mm! It would also be sweet for working up cast cowboy action style loads for my 30-30 which would be a blast for the kid to work with!

For the time being I really want a chargemaster and I should probably replace the chrono that I accidentally used for penetration testing last week...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Dang you mainer... now I kind of want a Dillon... For load workup I don't think there is anything better than my redding T7 but man would that Dillon be nice once I start cranking out plinking loads for my 6.8 or trying to load for my 10mm! It would also be sweet for working up cast cowboy action style loads for my 30-30 which would be a blast for the kid to work with!

For the time being I really want a chargemaster and I should probably replace the chrono that I accidentally used for penetration testing last week...
    Dillon is great, being from Arizona I used them for years. This winter I got a deal on a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP and that thing is every bit as slick as a Dillon 650 and only about $400, I paid less than half that though. If you want a progressive (and believe me you do if you load for handguns) Hornady L-N-L AP is better than that Dillon 550 and less money.

BTW I donít think its any harder to work up loads on a progressive than on your T7. But along with a progressive having a T7 set up on all the time with stuff like decaping dies, pocket uniformer, bullet puller, hardness tester, and what not would be very cool indeed!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How did that penetration test work out? I assume you got a clean pass through. Thats a bummer though. Those things make pretty expensive test media and they are so small you can usually only get one shot per unit.

How did that penetration test work out? I assume you got a clean pass through. Thats a bummer though. Those things make pretty expensive test media and they are so small you can usually only get one shot per unit.
    I gas checked my Gama Chrony and they said they would fix it if I sent it back to them. So I sent them my Gama and for something like $30 or so they upgraded it and sent me back a new Alpha, IĎm a loyal Chrony user now!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Give me a call in the fall and I'll give you a hand. Cheapest way is to watch the forum's forsale threads but you can also find stuff on the Alaskalist. Craigslist doesn't allow this type of thing althogh sometimes it slips through.

Yes, complete pass through... I initially thought that it exited the top about 1/2 way down as there was a large hole there but it turns out it hit the plastic reinforcement around the top of the center screw post in the competition electronics prochrono and then veered down center punching the rear detector and exiting the rear... In the future I will definitely save my shooting for better lighting conditions! Expensive lesson learned. I considered sending it back to CE with the problem description field on their return for repair slip stating "Unit doesn't turn off" just to see what they would do.

I would suggest buying a whole kit. They are reasonably priced and have most everything you need. They generally come with a reloading manual than will walk you through every step. I do a lot of reloading and still refer to the book or instructions in the die sets almost everytime I set them up. Maybe Im just slow. Once you do a little reloading you will probably want to upgrade your equipment but you will know what is involved and thus you will know what new equipment you want. Reloading with an experienced reloader is great but it will just cost you money as you realize all the nice equipment he has that you "MUST HAVE". I know I have it all now, but there is always something new and better coming out. Like buying new guns, reloading can turn into a sickness, but you will enjoy the pursuit for accuracy as you begin to see real results.

I think you should get with some one that can show you different levels of loading equiptment so you can match the eqiptment to the type/amount of loading you plan to do before buying things that don't meet your needs. I have 6 different presses from the Lee hand press to the Dillon 550. I'm willing to show you through the plus and minus of the different $ ranges of equiptment when you get ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast