Thread: Kenai

Default Kenai

With a 50 hp 4 stroke, can you run from Skilak lake to the mouth of the Kenai?

When? Right now would be sketchy with the low water, once the water comes up no problem if you dont mind class 3 white water through naptowne rapids. Also dont forget the swan nesting area below Skilak that is closed to motors until June.

I wouldn't try it with a prop right now, when the water comes up i'd say its technically possible but the chances of making it without changing a prop or two are probably slim. Down around Soldotna there are a ton of boulders all over. Actually basically from Naptowne to Big Eddy or so is a bit tricky (IMO).

Wow! Wouldn't have thought it was so rocky! Just got a 50 on my boat and looking forward to running the river.

My advice is to talk to several with local knowledge of the river. I've run the entire Kenai on multiple occasions in a canoe and a raft (with a fifteen horse outboard) and have run aluminum boats on the river since 1978. I couldn't make it through Naptowne Rapids repeatedly with any finesse in a canoe (1" keel). Even after multiple portages back up river to see if I could figure it out. It was uneventful and fun in a raft but the motor was up on every occasion. Oars were the motive power of choice. I would be reluctant to attempt the endeavor with an aluminum boat and outboard for which I wanted future use of. The remainder of the river might offer you some challenges but if you are experienced in running a boat on a river and can "read" water you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck .....wear a PFD and have appropriate communications gear aboard. An additional thought is to have a river anchor along for the trip. A conventional anchor used in salt water is not the best anchor of choice for the Kenai.

All good advise, Are there any motor restrictions on Tustaminie lake?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    All good advise, Are there any motor restrictions on Tustaminie lake?

No there are no motor restrictions on TUSTUMENA lake.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    No there are no motor restrictions on TUSTUMENA lake.
    There are no motor restrictions, but it is not much different than going on the ocean. There can be 6 ft seas that pick up quickly here, and it was not that many years ago that several boaters were killed (I think you will find this story with a search of this forum.) Not saying not to go, I have been around the lake on my 50hp Kenai boat, just watch out for the weather.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

That lake kills someone every other year or so it seems. Got a very good friend of mine and a 16 year old girl last year, 3 others made it to shore. I would NOT venture onto that lake without going with someone who is familiar with it. My friend had been on it for 30 some years, still got him.