Thread: Must have GPS

Default Must have GPS

If you needed a GPS to cover ATV riding, hunting, fishing, camping, etc in Alaska what/which one would you get. I have an old Garmin that is pretty worthless unless in wide open country. I understand satellite capture & line of sight and understand the ford, chevy, toyota thought process. Trying to figure out which one you have used with success in these applications. Thanks for your thoughts

Garmin 62cs with custom map set ordered online (I can't remember the name of the retailer). I think it is a pretty slick setup. If I had hunting buddies also in the market I would see if they all wanted to get Garmin Rhino's.

I use a Garmin Rhino, it works great and I have had zero problems with it. I have used it in the mountains and wide open tundra and always found my way back to the truck. No problems with losing signal. Although it does take a while to sync up with the satelites.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I use the Garmin Oregon 450T. Love the touchscreen!!!

I had issues installing maps on other devices(Magellan Triton) so I went with the preloaded maps version.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63350

Shop around and you'll find it priced lower than the msrp.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Since you mentioned fishing, I'll toss in my vote for my Garmin GPSMAP 76. It's waterproof and it floats. It has a basemap of the US and Canada (a pretty good one) that has all of the USGS/Coast Guard maritime navaids and markers on it. It's not terribly accurate (+/- 30 ft or so is normal.) I gave up geocaching with it, although my son and his friends use it for geocaching once in a while still. It's been a solid, reliable piece of equipment. I've let it run for 12-14 hours straight in the car, using it as a trip computer driving cross continent. (Works great for that.) It survived a 30' fall of a cliff in my pack, too.

You're going to find a lot of tradeoffs to make as you shop around. One thing about the Garmins is, if you have a PC, they have a ton of maps you can buy and load, whereas if you have a Mac, like me....there's nothing for it.

PS: one of the known issues with Garmins is they usually won't work well or at all with lithium batteries. The newer firmware shuts the unit off if it senses lithium batteries.

Delorme earthmate. Ths gps allows you to download and view you position on usgs maps, delorme maps, color and IR satelite photos while quickly being able to alternate between any of them. The GPS receiver and antenna setup result in the delorme gps'es being much more sensitive than garmin gps'es

Delorme PN-60 is my choice. I've had Garmins and Magellans and prefer the Delorme. I have used the Delorme PN-20 for years and just upgraded to the PN-60 this year.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Keep in mind that some units require the use of special software to move data to/from the GPS to another device such as a computer. Garmins hook up just like a thumb drive (with a USB cable) and act like a thumb drive (they store files in a Windows structure). Some of the others aren't as intuitive... I dont' know about Delorme, but I'm almost positive that you can get Delorme basemap software for other GPS brands.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Rinos are great but if your the only one with one it's worthless unless you like the weather reports. Once I sell mine I'll be stepping up to a Garmin Montana.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have a Garmin Etrex legend HCX and I love it.
    I just got a new chip for it at the sportsmans show in Kenai that shows me all the property lines statewide and who owns them.
    All I had to do was put the chip in it and it did the rest itself.
    I really like my Garmins including the one on my boat and 4 handhelds. My old hand held one is old school but still works fine. The others work great and are very user friendly.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have a Garmin Etrex legend HCX and I love it.
    I just got a new chip for it at the sportsmans show in Kenai that shows me all the property lines statewide and who owns them.
    All I had to do was put the chip in it and it did the rest itself.
    I really like my Garmins including the one on my boat and 4 handhelds. My old hand held one is old school but still works fine. The others work great and are very user friendly.
    Same here, they are very tough. I left my on the tailgate of my truck back in 08 and it went a bouncin down the road at 55 mph. Someone behind me saw it and grabbed it for me. I don't like touch screen models when it's cold out. Been using the same model since 2006, it's been reliable to say the least. Only thing I don't like is the toggle switch gets accidentally pressed when you store it in a pocket and it's turned on.

I would also like to mention the HCX I have has the newer Garmin antenna. I get good reception even inside my house.
    The new plug and play chip I installed also tells me which hunting unit i am in as well a very handy thing to know.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"