Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mushy halibut

Default Mushy halibut

I have yet to catch a halibut that was mushy, does anyone have any tips on how to tell if they are mushy before they hit the filet table. Can you tell when they are still alive? What should I be looking for? What method does everybody else find that works best for them? thanks

If you are fishing in the kelp you my never see a chalky/mushy halibut, but just to set you straight the so called mushy halibut are to be called creamy from now on that should sell better then mushy OK just to help if they have any gray on the white side or just look like they have not filled out they are more likely chalky/mushy now called creamy just look at where the body comes down to the side and if you see where the side is not filled out to the fin you may have a creamy smooth chunk of junk, I mean creamy delight.

You will feel that the halibut doesn't feel firm as normal to the touch.

I never noticed any difference until I filleted one out. Thinking it would firm up with cooking, I did so, and it was disgusting.

A little bit off the OP, but I am surprised the troopers haven't been asking people to bring them in for examination if nothing else to get an idea of how many people are catching, but also to look at them and try to further determine the cause. Maybe they already have it figured out; I have read the material that they have put out regarding the problem. I haven't caught any, but they sure don't sound edible.

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    A little bit off the OP, but I am surprised the troopers haven't been asking people to bring them in for examination if nothing else to get an idea of how many people are catching, but also to look at them and try to further determine the cause. Maybe they already have it figured out; I have read the material that they have put out regarding the problem. I haven't caught any, but they sure don't sound edible.
    What are they thinking is the cause? I've never caught a mushy butt.....lol

What I have read is this.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...t_syndrome.pdf

You can see the pics for yourself. Mushy butt is ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What are they thinking is the cause? I've never caught a mushy butt.....lol
    Oh come on. You mean to tell me no one has caught one or two mushy butts at the bar before.

Charterboat Operator

You can make a one inch cut at the tail and run your hand down from the head to the tail and squeeze the meat out like tooth paste! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    You can make a one inch cut at the tail and run your hand down from the head to the tail and squeeze the meat out like tooth paste! Lol.
    LOL, and maybe a little hurling? Thats really gross. So far I haven't caught one. Hope I never do.

Thanks for the laugh/hurl,

Big_E

I have done a a lot of reading on this. It is said that the "mushiness" is caused by a build up of lactic acid in the meat. Last year this seemed to be higher than usual because of the high numbers of Cod in the inlet. This high number of Cod was thought to cause a shortage of food which in turn put stress on the Halibut causing the build up of lactic acid. One of the ways that I tell the mushy halibut apart is usually they have a high number of sea lice and tend to be super skinny and have much larger teeth then a healthy halibut. They also tend to have an off gray color. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsmen2012 View Post
    ?.. One of the ways that I tell the mushy halibut apart is usually they have a high number of sea lice and tend to be super skinny and have much larger teeth then a healthy halibut. They also tend to have an off gray color. Hope this helps!
    Sounds like you're describing an Arrowtooth flounder. Those also have an enzyme that turns the flesh mushy, especially when cooked.

cought 2 of those mushy things and was told lack of nutrition and our bait would get coverd with sea lice on the bottom out of Deep creek FISH ON!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Sounds like you're describing an Arrowtooth flounder. Those also have an enzyme that turns the flesh mushy, especially when cooked.
    That's exactly what I thought when I read that. If someone doesn't really know about Arrowtooth flounder they could be easily mistaken for an odd looking halibut. The "mushy" halibut I caught a couple of weeks ago didn't exhibit any of those "symptoms" and I didn't realize it was "mushy" until I cut it up.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Arrow tooth flounder? No. We have actually had this conversation before.

Default Mushies....

2 of the 4 butts I got off the beach this yr were mushies. Last yr I would say nearly half were mushies.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Arrow tooth flounder? No. We have actually had this conversation before.
    We aren't saying that what people are calling "mushy" halibut are actually Arrowtooth flounder. Boreal and I are just stating that what Outdoorsman described with this statement: "One of the ways that I tell the mushy halibut apart is usually they have a high number of sea lice and tend to be super skinny and have much larger teeth then a healthy halibut..." sounds like a perfect description of an Arrowtooth. The "mushy" halibut I caught a couple of weeks ago didn't have an abnormal amount of sea lice like Arrowtooth are prone to have, wasn't "super skinny" like an Arrowtooth is compared to a halibut, and didn't have "much larger teeth than a healthy halibut."

Thank god I have never caught one. Of the 35+ halibut we boated last year not a single one was mushy.
    Maybe its where I am fishing? I like to fish some spots 20+ miles out from Homer.
    It seems a lot of the mushy halibut are caught closer in. I wonder if that means anything as far as where to go to not catch them?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thank god I have never caught one. Of the 35+ halibut we boated last year not a single one was mushy.
    Maybe its where I am fishing? I like to fish some spots 20+ miles out from Homer.
    It seems a lot of the mushy halibut are caught closer in. I wonder if that means anything as far as where to go to not catch them?
    I think that might have a lot to do with it. The spot that I caught that one "mushy" a couple of weeks ago was a spot where normally the halibut I bring in have whole crabs, or crab parts in their belly. I noticed that in the F&G article regarding "mushy" halibut they say that the problem seems to be in part to eating a lot of crabs which might not be supplying them the proper nutrients. Going out further and deeper might get you out of that "crab zone" and away from any potential problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I think that might have a lot to do with it. The spot that I caught that one "mushy" a couple of weeks ago was a spot where normally the halibut I bring in have whole crabs, or crab parts in their belly. I noticed that in the F&G article regarding "mushy" halibut they say that the problem seems to be in part to eating a lot of crabs which might not be supplying them the proper nutrients. Going out further and deeper might get you out of that "crab zone" and away from any potential problem.

Yeah where I fish they seem to be eating a lot of candlefish. Like I said I have never caught a mushy one ever and only one chalky fish about 4-5 years ago.
    maybe fishing farther out has its benefits.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast