Thread: bell housing spraying water?

Default bell housing spraying water?

20120517_160701.jpg20120517_160709.jpgHello, so I took the boat out last weekend only to have a not so great experience. After getting her up on step coming away from the boat launch, about 1/2 a mile down the river she drastically slows down, I was at 3300 rpm doing 6 mph. She was doing 18 prior to. I pull her over and check the impeller for debris, as well as the grate. Nothing. I start her back up and again no faster than 6 mph. I have the wife drive and I go check the engine compartment just to find out its 1/2 full of water. I can visually see water spraying out of this hole on the bell housing that approx 3/4 inch in diameter. Something that had never happened before. So I pull her over and bilge it all out. And I limp back to boat launch where other issues took placebut that's neither here nor there. My Queston is, is this a freeze plug port that had popped out? Our does anyone know what this is? I included some pics, its just off to the side of the wiring.
    Last edited by wolf0994; 05-17-2012 at 17:47. Reason: added pics

your pix did not attach

They are now, my phone didnt want to do it. Thanks

I'm no jet boat guy, but I didn't know that there was supposed to be water in the bell housing. Isn't this just where the flywheel connects to the drive unit?

There should be some freeze plugs on the block inside the bellhousing, but the hole you see is an inspection hole. Was the water engine coolant/glycol or just river water? Were you overheating? If glycol....probably one of those freeze plugs, if river water...probably the seal on the input shaft for your berk. Did the water still come in while you were just sitting and not floating?
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Just river water, and yes it did still come in when not running, but not nearly as fast. And no I was not over heating. In fact my oil temp dropped down to almost off the gauge. The engine temp stayed right where normal. I did notice the oil pressure was about 80.

I would look at your pump input shaft seal setup. Ill look and see if I can find some data on your pump and how to change the seal.

Which berk do you have?

What kind of motor and jet are you running? More info may help. Also, did you check for leaks before you left? Or did you start it up and go?

Sadly I started it up and went, didn't check first. I was running way late and I didnt bother looking. A mistake I shall not make again, I assure you. As for the descriptions its a ford marine 460 mated to a berk 12-JF

I had the same thing happen to me when I checked the eng compartment the water was spraying all over from the flywheel. It turned out that the seal had come out between the intake area and the bottem of the boat. Both bildge pumps and came back to the landing.One way to check for this problem would be run some water in the bottem of the boat and watch for leaks on the bottem side.

The reason that it was coming out the hole is that the bottem of the flywheel was in the water and the teeth were carying it up and out of the hole.

http://www.berkeleyjet.com/c-669-model-12jf-parts.aspx

Click on the pic to blow it up.

Your seal may have had some water trapped and froze during the winter and popped loose or something, or you may just need to tighten the bolts on the stuffing/packing box. See if you can tighten them up first before you rip the thing apart.

Here is a guy doing a rebuild on the thing, I guess he did a few things wrong, but you get the idea. I think your seal type should be similar to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLeFCvmu5NI

It sounds like you blew a seal............yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It sounds like you blew a seal............yuck.
    I am surprised it took so long for this comment.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have no idea how bad that is... you say "yuck". How big of deal are we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0994 View Post
    I have no idea how bad that is... you say "yuck". How big of deal are we talking?
    I am pretty sure he is talking about an actual "seal" not a seal that keeps water out and oil in. That is why he said yuck..

You either lost the seal that goes around the intake or the seal around the shaft. The best thing to do it stick your garden hose in the engine compartment turn it on and see if water starts running out around the intake grate/foot. If so you know that is where your leak is.

So how much water needs to be added to see if there is a leak at the input seal? I have about 4 inches of standing water and no leaks whatsoever around the foot. There is a hole in my hull that we incurred during the same trip but we were almost 100% sure that we got that hole while loading it up to come home. That hole is about 1/3 the way toward the front of the boat and we were able to use the hose to add quite a bit of water before it reached that hole due to the boat angle being tilted back toward the engine.

Basically if I need the engine compartment to have more than 4 inches or so to have it reach the input shaft seal then I will need to RTV my hull to get it to hold more water. If 4 inches is plenty to test the input shaft seal then I believe we may be wrong about the source of the river water and we may have punched that hole during the last trip last year and never noticed it.

Thoughts?

You will be able to ck the seal between the hull and the intake housing with the water in the hull but you could still have a leaking shaft seal. The best way to check that is to back it into the water and watch for a leak around the shaft. For a test like that you could just plug up the hole that you found and put it in the water on the trailer enough to get the jet unit in the water. You will want to make sure where the leak is before you start doing repairs.

Ok, well, I want to get the hull fixed first. It has a tear probably 2 inches long and about 1 inch wide. That I need to get welded. Then I will put it back in the water and let it sit and see if it starts to fill.

I'm thinking you did the hole on your last trip, maybe you made it bigger on this one. When you left the landing it ran great until the water had filled the boat and made it heavy. I agree that you should fix the hole first and then take it for a test run. All your problems will probaly be over. You would be suprised how fast a hole the size you have will fill a boat enough for the flywheel to throw it through the inspection hole.