Thread: My dog pointed a bird today. I didn't even know he knew how.

Default My dog pointed a bird today. I didn't even know he knew how.

Walking the dog today in a lightly wooded, brushy area near a green space trail near my home and, all of a sudden, he froze and pointed. I didn't even know he knew how to do that! After I gave him the release, he flushed out some songbird-looking thing with an orange chest and black wings.

I've been using that area as a training area to let him run flushing circles out ahead of me, practice whistle training, and other stuff. We've seen birds before, but it's usually a matter of me holding him back with a combination of voice command and e-collar to keep him from just charging off ahead and chasing the bird off. So you can imagine my surprise when he locked up, raised his right paw, and wouldn't move.

Can't wait for Grouse season. Now I'm all "yippee dippy!"

For a lot of dogs this is instinctive. As a child I had a Brittney mix, never trained but would point birds.

Well, this lab is a "rescue." He was a problem child, so now, a year later, any progress is a small victory.

That's awesome! Don't you love that feeling! My husband & I have a chocolate lab and we were amazed when he pointed the first time as well. It's great to watch them get birdy and then just freeze. Makes great hunting pictures too!

Good luck with hunting season this fall. I am sure your dog will bring memories you will talk about forever.

I couldn't imagine life without our Nitro! He makes hunting birds something special and hunting in Alaska the ultimate dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfishgirl View Post
    I am sure your dog will bring memories you will talk about forever.
    Oh yeah, he makes great memories. Like the time he ate the chocolate cake and the instant oatmeal. Or the time he ate my son's happy meal....he make's memories. =)

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For a lot of dogs this is instinctive. As a child I had a Brittney mix, never trained but would point birds.
    Looking back on my post, I hope you don't think I was trying to minimalize your excitement. If I did I am sorry as I know how you feel. I will never forget when my chessie first started pointing pheasants. I had always just used her to bust the brush and flush em' out. She was big and strong and great for that. One morning we were walking down the checks of some freshly harvested fields when all of a sudden she locked up on point. I was ecstatic and talked to her right as she did it saying good girl....stay, stay good girl... She held that bird till we flushed it. It was a hen. But she pointed 2 more roosters right after that. Again, I never trained her to "point" but I do believe she started this just because of the technique I used to train her overall. Meaning........always wait for me to say "ok" for anything she recognized as "good"....ie her food, staying on shot, etc... So for her to all of a sudden one day point, flush, then stay and mark the bird, well.....to say the least I was beyond myself........lol
    Congrats...!!!