Thread: good lake or stream fishing

Default good lake or stream fishing

Okay I got here last year I'm with the army and me and my wife fished last year caught a few very small rainbows but that's it now I'm looking for a good safe area for her to fish she's pregnant I have a 44 mag for bear and what not but need a good accessible area to fish for her any help would be great even better if some one can let us tag along were safe people thanks

There are actually some good fishing options on post that you can fish. This year I have caught some trout at lake Clunie and last night I caught 6 trout at Green Lake on Elmendorf side. One of my friends caught a 14" Rainbow last night and it had some weight to it. I like to take my family to Finger lake in Wasilla also and we have always caught some nice size Rainbows and Dollies there. Clunie lake does have a momma black bear with two young cubs so just a heads up when you are out fishing there. Let me know if you have any questions.

JT

They just recently stocked some of the local lakes here in Anchorage. The past couple of days I have fished both Cheney and Jewel Lake and have been able to land a couple of nice fish.

Thanks for the info. I will try those lakes out, clunie is where I got those rainbows. I saw mirror lake on the way home, I think I might try that out. anybody try mirror lake yet?

Cbrehmer,

I was at Finger Lake last night just having a fire with the wife and daughter. I walked to the dock just to visit and there was a 4 yr old with grandpa and had caught 3 and I watched hook and loose the 4th from the dock. I also watched as a school of about 20 fish mill around at the take out. Some of those fish were better than 20 and most were better than 12. Grandpa and Grandma had lawn chairs on the dock so that would make it nice for the wife in her state. Bobber with bait hanging 30 inches under it, wait till the bobber starts moving and just tighten up. Hope this helps. Evenings the best.

George

Well obviously you can fish on base so I have a recommendation for you. Six mile! Last year you could keep the trout for the first time in many years from what I hear. I caught dozens of fish between 15 and 23 inches. Also had a monster on that I lost at shore. Just check out the regs on where you can fish on the lake and put in a little effort on finding a fishing spot. I know there are still good ones in there cause I let all mine go. So good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cbrehmer View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will try those lakes out, clunie is where I got those rainbows. I saw mirror lake on the way home, I think I might try that out. anybody try mirror lake yet?
    Did you happen to try Mirror Lake yet? I was going to try to take my kids this weekend. At the end of my line I have a snap swivel but I'm not sure what to put on the end for the rainbow trout, just a small hook with some bait?

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    Did you happen to try Mirror Lake yet? I was going to try to take my kids this weekend. At the end of my line I have a snap swivel but I'm not sure what to put on the end for the rainbow trout, just a small hook with some bait?
    First thing I would do is get rid of the snap swivel. Just tie the hook on the line. If you need a swivel for a spinner or what ever I would add that up between my main line and leader line. so many things work. If you like bait it works so does any number of flies and spinners. If you really like to cast and cast as far as you can than the cast masters are fun and they catch good fish.

Default Don't bother

I have been to mirror lake multiple times and tried various spinners and flies, not even a nibble!! That place is cursed I tell ya!!! All it does is waste your time! You can try it but very slim chances of catching anything. I would go to finger lake I always at least get a nibble their with bait. I have caught lots of bows + char their. Hope this info helped. "fish on"

I don't think Mirror lake has been stocked for a few years now. Went to finger lake last sunday w/the wife & kid. Caught a dozen or so rainbows in the bay south from the elks lodge. Two were in the 16-17"range, the rest were smaller. Wasn't really planning on seriously fishing so left the flyrod at home. My 3yr old got the biggest one on her "Dora the explorer" pole. Pautzkes balls o'fire did the trick.

Thumbs up

Okay I got here last year I'm with the army and me and my wife fished last year caught a few very small rainbows but that's it now I'm looking for a good safe area for her to fish she's pregnant I have a 44 mag for bear and what not but need a good accessible area to fish for her any help would be great even better if some one can let us tag along were safe people thanks
    Hello and welcome to alaska.

i hope u fing good luck fishing the great land.

one word of advice. please do not be one of those yahoos who blasts a bear because it comes near your wife. leave the 44 at home (not a good bear gun) and pick up some counter assault bear spray. if you really must carry a firearm to feel safe, a 12 gauge shotgun is what ADF&G recomends.

safe areas include anywhere next to a road, where there is no dense brush, and salmon are not spawning.

tight lines!

Echo what Brandon says above. Have the greatest respect for our military and those who serve. But hawgleg packing GI's on the river have given you guys a bad rep on the rivers over the years.

I say this with all do respect.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Not good to leave home without a gun. I always take a 44 mag. with me. It has saved us a few times with warning shots. A 44 has plenty of power to take a bear down if its running at you. A 44 has 350 grain bullets or more. Plenty of power to kill a bear. How do you think Timothy Tredwell died, HE DIDNT HAVE A GUN WITH HIM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shandar View Post
    Echo what Brandon says above. Have the greatest respect for our military and those who serve. But hawgleg packing GI's on the river have given you guys a bad rep on the rivers over the years.

I say this with all do respect.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    How about "hawgleg" packin' veterans,or,OMG !!!! civillians ? Just wondering..........

sent from my Ma Bell Rotary Phone using old technology.