Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best boot for Caribou and Sheep?

Default Whats the best boot for Caribou and Sheep?

I have been reading a lot about what type of hiking boots to get but I think the best place is to start with the people that actually hunt these animals in Alaska not some guy in an office writing about how they should perform. So let me have it what do you prefer on your feet when chasing these animals across Alaska?

Default boots

The two hunts require a different type of boot. For sheep you will get a variety of suggestions, all of the way from plastic boots with a booties inside, such as koflach, Asolo and others to leather boots like meindel, Kennetrek and similar styles and even a few who might like lighter climbing boots.

For caribou, it must be boots which are easy to walk in for a distance, waterproof. Some may like LaCrosse knee boots or packs. It depends on how high you will be hunting caribou, as to how much water you might encounter. They are apt to be on hills but the valleys in between can be pretty wet.

You can't beat the Cabelas Meindl Alaska Hunters

Lowa Hunter GTX will cover both.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

For sheep, or anything in the mountains, I love my Koflachs.

Hanwags by Lathrop and Sons. Get the Trapper GTX.

They really can take abuse.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Caribou, moose, bear - Lacrosse burly's.

Sheep - Any GOOD hiking boot...not trail hikers. I prefer leather, not plastic. Cabelas does have a good boot.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Russell Moccasin! Custom made one at a time in the good old USA. Order early took about 5 months to get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher57 View Post
    You can't beat the Cabelas Meindl Alaska Hunters
    +1 on Meindl's.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've used Cabelas Meindl Canadians and Lowa Hunter GTX for sheep, caribou, and other types of AK hunting - both are great. The Lowas seem to be of slightly better quality, but no complaints with either.

When I was guiding I used one boot for both. I had the Mt. Elbrus boot by Miendl that Cabella's no longer sells but I still use to this day. I imagine the AK Hunters are good too. They are good for sheep and as long as you don't get in water too deep, then they would be fine for caribou as well. Make sure you bring hip waders as you never know what kind of swamp or other water you may have to get through.

I really like Lowa Tibets.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I really like Lowa Tibets.
    I cannot say enough good things about my Lowa Tibets. The idea that you need different boots for caribou and sheep is not reflective of my experience. I use my Lowas hiking in the winter, climbing in the summer, hunting sheep, caribou, goat, etc. etc. etc. Those boots are just an extension of my feet and I've never worn better. They carry them at Boot Country in Anchorage.

I submit that the Danner Talus GTX is as good as any Meindle, Hanwags, Lowa, Kennetrek and they are $100.00 CHEAPER. And they come in wide sizes.

http://www.danner.com/talustm-gtxr-f...ing-boots.html

Stranger kills more than anyone and a lot of his pics show tennis shoes
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I submit that the Danner Talus GTX is as good as any Meindle, Hanwags, Lowa, Kennetrek and they are $100.00 CHEAPER. And they come in wide sizes.

http://www.danner.com/talustm-gtxr-f...ing-boots.html
    They look like pretty nice boots but they are low cut. If you want one boot for both, personally I would want a high cut boot to make it through a lot of water situations you may come across on a caribou hunt....imo.

I use the Kenetreks, and so far I like them just fine. In the past, I've had problems with Danners either wearing out prematurely on shale (goat hunting) due to getting cut up, or causing leg and foot aching due to the gore-tex seam that runs right along the bottom of the heel. I went through three pairs of danners in one fall of goat hunts. And after hiking all day, that seam felt like a full-grown zipper in the bottom of my boot.
    Last edited by Seinerman; 05-18-2012 at 14:46. Reason: changed boat to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    I use the Kenetreks, and so far I like them just fine. In the past, I've had problems with Danners either wearing out prematurely on shale (goat hunting) due to getting cut up, or causing leg and foot aching due to the gore-tex seam that runs right along the bottom of the heel. I went through three pairs of danners in one fall of goat hunts. And after hiking all day, that seam felt like a full-grown zipper in the bottom of my boot.
    No offense, but shouldn't you wear plastic on goat hunts? I don't think any leather boots can handle very many goat hunts. The one good thing about Danner is that they replace boots with no questions asked. I doubt too many shoe companies do that.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    No offense, but shouldn't you wear plastic on goat hunts? I don't think any leather boots can handle very many goat hunts. The one good thing about Danner is that they replace boots with no questions asked. I doubt too many shoe companies do that.
    You should be able to wear the same boots on either sheep or goat hunts. I've done both in leather boots. Never had plastics but am sure I would like them even better. I also wear Danners (like the ones you posted) to work in, and I like them fine. But I would never wear them to hunt sheep or goats in. Not near enough ankle support as far as I'm concerned.

Plastics are good...but they really torque on your knees. I switched back to leather.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast