Thread: Gear for Early to mid September...

Default Gear for Early to mid September...

Hi all... I'm planning about a 10 day Caribou hunt in September (combination hunt so multiple caribou or species such as sheep or moose are a possibility). Some of the gear I have for deer hunting in central/northern Maine will do fine, some won't. A couple things I'm thinking of buying. One is the Cabelas Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Pack and Frame and the other is the Helly Hansen Impertech Guide Coat. Does anyone have any experience or reviews on these items?? From everything I've read on Alaskan hunting, it seems that Helly Hansen products are very highly regarded. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Are you on a guided hunt? If so, you should contact your guide for his recommendations. If you aren't on a guided hunt, make sure you are VERY familiar with the regulations in the areas you intend to hunt. One thing does not change between areas, a guide is required for sheep and grizzlies. Moose hunting regulations can also be tricky and make sure you understand the antler restrictions and if the places you intend to hunt are permitted, registration tag, or harvest tag areas.

Are you flying in or river hunting?

Lots of guys use the HH Impertech stuff.

I have friend who moved to Anchorage a couple years ago which is how I got this chance. One of his friends and co-worker is a registered guide who'll be with us and we will be giving sheep a go. Last year my buddy set up a goat and spring bear hunt and was successfull with his co-worker. This year his co-worker is taking us on a hunt where sheep and caribou are our targets and seeing that this may be the only chance I get to head to Alaska, I will make sure I squeeze everybit of opportunity I can out of it. I honestly feel like I hit the lottery because I'll have a registered guide with me, but not the expense. I've been pouring over the Alaska Regs and units. If I'm hunting, it's my responsibility to know the laws.

I havent hunted in Alaska yet due to a deployment but what I have learned so far is that make sure you are in decent shape carrying a pack for quite a distance and have a good pair of boots. Those two things will be big factors in having a successful hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribouhunter10 View Post
    Hi all... I'm planning about a 10 day Caribou hunt in September (combination hunt so multiple caribou or species such as sheep or moose are a possibility). Some of the gear I have for deer hunting in central/northern Maine will do fine, some won't. A couple things I'm thinking of buying. One is the Cabelas Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Pack and Frame and the other is the Helly Hansen Impertech Guide Coat. Does anyone have any experience or reviews on these items?? From everything I've read on Alaskan hunting, it seems that Helly Hansen products are very highly regarded. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Concerning the pack, I've used several Cabelas pack frames and they work. I've used better and seen much worse packs work as well. For the dollar, they're tough to beat....

Impertech is standard fare for a lot of AK hunters. There are new wonder fabrics that probably work as well or better, but considering the cost, durability and its ability to suitably dry hanging under a tarp I'll keep wearing my HH. I like the guide coat, but it is long (meaning sometimes cumbersome) and can be much to warm if there is a lot of hiking. Sitting on a hill or easing through terrain it's near perfect and its a normal component of my attire or in my daypack.

You can purchase and depend on these two items to perform well in AK.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Depending on which cabela's pack you get, one of them weighs 12lbs empty. That's a heavy empty pack when limited to weight. Grunden's make a line of rain gear called Gage. It's their lighweight stuff and fairly inexpensive. I've got two tops and a set of bibs and they have performed very well. It's worth checking out.

Im in the same boat as Barber, but I just purchased both the HH Impertech Deluxe Jacket, and the Impertech waist pant due to seeing alot of good reviews on here on the gear. Now both of us have to continue shopping for a good pack!

Oh also I forgot to mention, the Impertech Jacket and pants are both on sale right now on escapeoutdoors.com, they also shipped them to me for free, to Alaska even!!

If you ever plan to do any moose hunting and want a pack that will last go to Barneys sport chalet in anchorage and order one of their packs. You'll get sticker shock when you first look at it but it is a mainstay for many here.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have the alaskan outfitters pack and frame. Have used it for the last 5 trips of Alaska to moose hunt. Has done a great job.

You might want to look at this pack. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/outdoorz...ander-pack-bag We just bought 3 of them. Good reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You might want to look at this pack. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/outdoorz...ander-pack-bag We just bought 3 of them. Good reviews....
    I was going to ask if anyone has used this pack. I found it on Amazon for $127.

You will NEVER find better gear than Helly-Hansen. I've always used KELTY, so I don't know much about Cabelas . . .

I have friend who moved to Anchorage a couple years ago which is how I got this chance. One of his friends and co-worker is a registered guide who'll be with us and we will be giving sheep a go. Last year my buddy set up a goat and spring bear hunt and was successfull with his co-worker. This year his co-worker is taking us on a hunt where sheep and caribou are our targets and seeing that this may be the only chance I get to head to Alaska, I will make sure I squeeze everybit of opportunity I can out of it. I honestly feel like I hit the lottery because I'll have a registered guide with me, but not the expense. I've been pouring over the Alaska Regs and units. If I'm hunting, it's my responsibility to know the laws.
    I think it's still the law that you'll have to have a signed contract with that guide, whether or not you pay him anything. He'll have to file one copy with the state, and you'll have to keep your copy with you on the hunt, as will your guide. Verify all this, since things may have changed in the last few years . . . . .

I believe you are correct... but I'll make sure to check up.

Helly Hansen...yes. Pair the Guide Coat with a set of Neos River trekkers and you're set for rain gear.

Cabelas "Alaska Guide" Packs are heavy than heck.... you could do worse but you can do much better for a caribou and sheep hunt. Personally I'll take a Mystery Ranch 6500 or a Barney's.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit