Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Rent a gun in Fairbanks

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    13

    Default Rent a gun in Fairbanks

    Hello,

    We are three Norwegian guys coming over to Fairbanks on June 1st. Our plan is to walk and paddle across Alaska from Kaktovik to Unalakleet. We are thinking of bringing a shotgun from Norway, but we don't know if we will get the import permit in time for our departure. So we are looking for alternatives: 1: Just bring UDAP. 2: rent a rifle/shotgun/handgun in Fairbanks.

    Does anyone know of any gun rentals in Fairbanks? Or if anyone wants to rent their private gun to us for a month? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Inuvik, NWT
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Is this for real? Kaktovik to UNK? You know that's over 500 miles (1000km) in a straight line right (with the brooks in the way)? Probably over 1200 miles (almost 2000km) along the coast...?

    You will die if you try this.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    13

    Default

    It's for real. Total trip length is +/- 1800 km. Do you know about Lars Monsen? He walked, paddled and dogsledded across Canada from Kaktovik to the east coast of Canada, over 8000 km. He survived.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    No rent guns I know of.Good luck on the trip as it sounds like a good one.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Sound like fun. Good luck Eivind. I'll let ya borrow one but you have to walk all the way back to return it

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Inuvik, NWT
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Sounds insane. But apparently the locals don't feel that way. So, go nuts.

  7. #7
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    You may be better off just buying a cheap rifle on Alaskaslist.com once you get here. I don't know of anywhere to rent a rifle. You could buy a cheap rifle and then just sell it when you leave. Anybody can buy a rifle from alaskaslist, even if you are foreigners. Here is a link. Good luck with the trip. How long are you planning on taking?

    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Guns_Hunting/

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Don't think you can legally buy a firearm. You will no doubt be fine with UDAP. Good luck with your trip!

  9. #9
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Sounds insane. But apparently the locals don't feel that way. So, go nuts.
    PGK,

    We are used to people from other countries/states trying crazy treks in this state. Happens every year. Some make it. Some don't. Lots of villages along the way for them to bail out. A good chunk of the ground they are planning on covering could be floated.

    All that being said, I don't know what kind of support these guys will have, but they will almost certainly be loaded to the max. I'd probably skip trying to carry a shotgun and just go with bear spray for each person.

    I'll be really surprised if they manage to make that trip in a month though!

    Yk

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Inuvik, NWT
    Posts
    64

    Default

    I guess I'm just not familiar with all the communities up there. I always think of N AK like N Canada - f-ing empty! I know for sure from living up here that if you tried a trip over that much distance in our neck of the woods, the only thing they'd find is some shreds of clothing! If it's river-floatable for large portions then it makes more sense but yes, I think the timeline is super optimistic. Getting through the brooks should take 10-12 days I would imagine.

  11. #11
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    I guess I'm just not familiar with all the communities up there. I always think of N AK like N Canada - f-ing empty! I know for sure from living up here that if you tried a trip over that much distance in our neck of the woods, the only thing they'd find is some shreds of clothing! If it's river-floatable for large portions then it makes more sense but yes, I think the timeline is super optimistic. Getting through the brooks should take 10-12 days I would imagine.

    I lived over there (NWT) for awhile, and you are right, Alaska is a big state, but the NWT is a whole different grade of empty. Nunavut... well, that place is something else again.

    That said, if the leave the coast and head straight through the Brooks, the first couple weeks aren't going to be easy. No villages in that stretch, and the tundra would be brutal to cross with a load just GETTING to the mountains. Pure speculations on my part though, since I don't know the route. Care to fill us in Eivind?

    Yk

  12. #12
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't think you can legally buy a firearm. You will no doubt be fine with UDAP. Good luck with your trip!
    Sure they can, as long as they are here legally and want the gun for a legal porous like hunting. They can buy a long gun (not a handgun) from an FFL so long as they have ID, immigration paperwork showing they can be here, and an Alaska hunting license.
     
    Now the trip sounds interesting but it doesn’t matter how good of bush hands they are the odds that they COULD die are right on up there. When you get that far out it gets amazing how little things fast become huge problems that can kill you. But they could die driving to the airport in Norway too, I just assume if they are adults the risks they take are their own choices and it’s not my business . . . just because I wouldn‘t do it don‘t mean they can’t.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  13. #13
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I lived over there (NWT) for awhile, and you are right, Alaska is a big state, but the NWT is a whole different grade of empty. Nunavut... well, that place is something else again.

    That said, if the leave the coast and head straight through the Brooks, the first couple weeks aren't going to be easy. No villages in that stretch, and the tundra would be brutal to cross with a load just GETTING to the mountains. Pure speculations on my part though, since I don't know the route. Care to fill us in Eivind?

    Yk
    Lots and LOTS of ankle and leg killing buggy muskeg to cover or go around. Packing through 15 miles a day of that is optimistic and I sure don’t see a 50 mile/day average without burning lots of gasoline in something.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  14. #14
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't think you can legally buy a firearm. You will no doubt be fine with UDAP. Good luck with your trip!
    Actually there are no laws against aliens buying guns in Alaska. I've had this discussion before with other people and I have also found where the ATF states that they have to have a documented reason to purchase the firearm but in the state of Alaska I do no not believe this is enforced. Here are some links to some gun law websites and I couldn't find anything illegal about it in Alaska. You've gotta love this state.

    http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...tes_(by_state)
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ak.htm

  15. #15
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Sure they can, as long as they are here legally and want the gun for a legal porous like hunting. They can buy a long gun (not a handgun) from an FFL so long as they have ID, immigration paperwork showing they can be here, and an Alaska hunting license.
     
    Now the trip sounds interesting but it doesn’t matter how good of bush hands they are the odds that they COULD die are right on up there. When you get that far out it gets amazing how little things fast become huge problems that can kill you. But they could die driving to the airport in Norway too, I just assume if they are adults the risks they take are their own choices and it’s not my business . . . just because I wouldn‘t do it don‘t mean they can’t.
    I still don't think that they can...
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-p-5300-18.pdf

    Purchasing a firearm from a nonlicensee
    to possess in the United States:
    ❖ A nonimmigrant alien generally MAY NOT purchase
    a firearm from a nonlicensee to possess in
    the United States. If you violate this prohibition,
    you could receive a maximum of 5 or 10 years of
    imprisonment, depending on the violation. If you
    have questions regarding possible exceptions to
    this prohibition, contact the Bureau of Alcohol,
    Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

  16. #16
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
    Hello,

    We are three Norwegian guys coming over to Fairbanks on June 1st. Our plan is to walk and paddle across Alaska from Kaktovik to Unalakleet. We are thinking of bringing a shotgun from Norway, but we don't know if we will get the import permit in time for our departure. So we are looking for alternatives: 1: Just bring UDAP. 2: rent a rifle/shotgun/handgun in Fairbanks.

    Does anyone know of any gun rentals in Fairbanks? Or if anyone wants to rent their private gun to us for a month? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    I am rootin for you Eivind, sound like a helluva adventure, I suspect the gun is more for protection than hunting as the June timing does not allow for hunting. Personally I would try to determine the legal aspect as it would be good to know where you stand with law. However if you have cash you can buy something for self defense from a private party w/o no questions asked, doesnt make it legal.

    But I would rather be prepared and ask for forgiveness than be bear food. After all the jails are pretty clean here........jus kidding.

    Plenty of naysayers about, usually from people that cant imagine themselves being capable of doing the same thing.........

    Or alternatively just make sure you can outrun yer two buddies...........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  17. #17
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    i over heard the guys at the gun counter at sentry lastnight saying you absolutly can not buy a gun in alaska with out being in state for 90 days prior.... atleast thats what he told the kid he was training

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    i over heard the guys at the gun counter at sentry lastnight saying you absolutly can not buy a gun in alaska with out being in state for 90 days prior.... atleast thats what he told the kid he was training
    It's been a couple years but the last time I checked you can't even legally sell a firearm privately to an out of state resident. Ridiculous, but I think the NRA is working to get a federal law to abolish that. As for someone from out of the country, I would call the ATF or look at the ATF website.
    Good luck on your trip.

  19. #19
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I spoke with my good friend who is a trooper and he looked into it. He said that there are little to no regulations limiting the sale of firearms between private parties in Alaska. All of the laws that have been posted below have been for gun shops and dealers in general.

    So as I said in my original post, you can buy a rifle from a private party in Alaska. You are allowed to have and carry a rifle in our state. So if you don't want to end up as bear crap or you just want to shoot some of those flying tasty little finger steaks that we call our state bird, then go get yourself a rifle or shotgun. Just make sure to get an alien nonresident hunting license. A nonresident small game license only costs $20 and will allow you to shoot grouse, rabbits, waterfowl, ptarmigan, cranes, and snipe.

    Good luck.

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thanks for all the response!

    Our route will be like this: Kaktovik -> walk south, first along Okpilak then Hula Hula up in the Brooks -> cross at Guilbeau Pass -> continue to Sheenjek, paddle it down to Fort Yukon (resupply) -> paddle the Yukon to Kaltag -> walk over the watershed to Unalakleet River, paddle out to Unalakleet. Map here:http://maps.google.no/maps/ms?msid=2...7efb746a&msa=0

    We are planning on using just one month, and no, that's not much time. Gives us an average mileage of 37 miles. We have been training very hard for this, and we're used to carrying big packs. So with a little luck, I believe it might just work. Anyway, it's worth a shot! You guys have a wonderful land, and this will be my third time there, so I'm really looking forward to it!

    The gun we need will only be for bear protection. I would have bought a gun from alaskaslist, but we have to bring it on the plane from FAI to Kaktovik, don't know if that could create any problems? Could say we just borrowed it from a friend?

    Thanks again for all the answers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •