Thread: Southeast Bear and Goat

Default Southeast Bear and Goat

In about a month I will be in Ketch with 10 days to burn while waiting for our household goods. My boat will be waiting on us before we get there. Looking at getting some fishing, shrimping, and crabbing with the family. If I'm lucky hopefully my son and I can drop a couple bears They should still be good eating right?

In October I will be home again for good (well... I won't be in south america anyways). I drew the dg006 goat tag. Will the goats have a full winter coat by then? Should be my first goat (should I be so lucky), and I want it to be furry...

Man!! This waiting thing is killin me!!!!

October goat hides are fantastic. No worries there. The weather isn't. Good luck! Sounds like you've got alot on your plate.

Nov. hides are even better.......

I dropped my goat there in Ketch on Sept 16th, had a great hide. my last goat hunt I waited till Nov, never got up the mountain. Spent 7 days stuck in the boat in Smeaton Bay.

I waited until October last year to hunt my DG005 tag, and it didn't work out. Its hard do that hunt that late in the year unless you are based there. Need just the right window of weather, and trying to plan dates in advance is useless. Hope to draw that tag again someday. Good luck, its some tough hunting.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Eating SE Fish Bear ..... NO ... but you might get a good eater over on the mainland that is mostly a vegetarian. Meat salvage is not required in June.

October is our monsoon month ... once past Sept 15th the Goat hunt weather can be tough. In Oct it is guaranteed to be hard core and Nov / Dec in the Misty is basically non-huntable.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Eating SE Fish Bear ..... NO ... but you might get a good eater over on the mainland that is mostly a vegetarian. Meat salvage is not required in June.

October is our monsoon month ... once past Sept 15th the Goat hunt weather can be tough. In Oct it is guaranteed to be hard core and Nov / Dec in the Misty is basically non-huntable.
    Hmm.. Hopefully we can find a good hide then.

I guess I am going to get my butt kicked goat hunting. At least I will be living there!!! Not sure if it makes a difference, but I got the Revill island tag. I should be able to climb buck and deer mtn from my backyard... A little different than heading to the mainland??

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I dropped my goat there in Ketch on Sept 16th, had a great hide.
    Sure....they have "nice" hides in Sept. but I have to ask if you've even seen a Nov. goat? I actually didn't believe my taxidermist friend who's been trying to get a Nov. goat for years, till I actually saw one. No comparison to a goat in Sept. or even early Oct. for that matter. I'm not saying wait for Nov. to get your goat because I know it isn't easy (thus why my friend has been trying for years, and we got snowed out when I went with him). But all I can say about a Nov. goat is.......cotton balls with legs.

Goat is an animal where the hair never quits growing until they shed ... if you want the longest hair go to BC on that February hunt they have.