Thread: Looking for the best fishing experience

Default Looking for the best fishing experience

I will be in Alaska from 6/15-6/24 to visit my remote property. While I am there I would
    like to take in a fishing trip. I will be staying in thr Palmer area and will be willing to drive
    just about anywhere. Given this time of year, what would be the best experience in your opinion
    for fishing areas or particular charter companies? Names, Websites, Phone Numbers?

Thanks alot for your help

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    I will be in Alaska from 6/15-6/24 to visit my remote property. While I am there I would
    like to take in a fishing trip. I will be staying in thr Palmer area and will be willing to drive
    just about anywhere. Given this time of year, what would be the best experience in your opinion
    for fishing areas or particular charter companies? Names, Websites, Phone Numbers?

Thanks alot for your help
    I'm particularly fond of fishing out of Homer, which, as I've said before, is why I moved here from Anchorage. You can fish for kings 365 days a year and there are also halibut in the bay all year long. During the period you'll be in AK is a great time for halibut, feeder kings and depending on the run timing and strength can be a good time to intercept spawning kings heading up Cook Inlet for streams and rivers further north. If you just click on the "Directory" link at the top of the page there are quite a few charter services listed there that support this forum through their advertising.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks alot Mutt,
    I thought Homer might be a good place. How long a drive from the Anchorage area is that?
    and would you recommend booking a hotel ahead of time or would I be able to get one on
    arrival?

In my opinion it is always best to reserve thing in advance come summertime.
    I would also book a charter as soon as possible. Most of the best charter boats fill up many months in advance.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's a bit early, but I love the silver/halibut combos out of Seward, you might see if they are offering those that early in the year?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    In my opinion it is always best to reserve thing in advance come summertime.
    I would also book a charter as soon as possible. Most of the best charter boats fill up many months in advance.
    Yes indeed. Especially for that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    It's a bit early, but I love the silver/halibut combos out of Seward, you might see if they are offering those that early in the year?
    You never know. I used to fish Pony Cove at that time of the year to try and pick up some of those really early silvers. But they ARE really early silvers and I'm not sure if you'll find many captains that are going to want to devote the time to chase fish that are pretty sparse. That's the beauty of Kachemak Bay---you know there are ALWAYS kings around and a number of charters that will be willing to chase them down for you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Homer over Seward any day, and twice on Sundays.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

also consider a trip to deepcreek/ninilchik. im a deckhand for Heavanly sights charters.... during that time of year you can go on a halibut charter, and when your done you can go fish kings in deepcreek! its a great experience. heavanly sights offers complete lodging... cabins, penthouse, and a full suit. check us out!

<http://www.heavenlysights.com/>
    good luck!
    joe,
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Middle of June is a great time for larger halibut out of Seward and the silver fishing outside the bay ( as well as pony cove) can be great too. Just looked at my log book from 2008-2010 and the first limit of silver at Pony cove for me each of those years was 6-13, 6-16, and 6-14. If you're looking for more action and less dragging bait in the water ( trolling for kings) then I would look at Seward. It's also an hour and a half closer to Palmer each way. Either way you should havea great time just being out on the water.
    Boatless

Thanks for all the advice Guys, although it was a tough decision, I will be fishing out of Homer. Never
    been on the Penninsula before and want to pass through Kenai for a look as My Niece has applied for
    a teaching Job there.

Thanks again