Thread: Decissions...decissions...help me out???

Default Decissions...decissions...help me out???

my wife and i will be in alaska road trip fishing & sight seeing from Idaho for 6 or 7 weeks. we prefer to fly fish and are set up with 5wt and 8wt rods as well as some light and heavy conventional tackle. Camping along the way in a cab-over with limited room and the question is do i tow my Kofler drift boat or leave it. We don't want to bring it all that way if it will be more trouble than it is worth as we want it to be a relaxing trip. We do like to hike also. We like the small lakes and maybe some river floats, preferring to avoid the crowds if possible fishing for grayling to salmon. We will be in Kodiak for 2 weeks starting June 23rd to visit our son & family,(have a place in Saldatna to leave the boat) then wonder home. Are there places to back my camper to and launch the boat on many of the smaller lakes along the alaska hwy system? Any suggestions? I have The Highway Angler and the Milepost which will be a great help.
    Terry

6 Weeks? No other commitments than fishing?

Bring the boat.

Edit: I jumped the gun. The real answer is it depends on how much you are going to fish. There are plenty of places to USE the boat. But if you're only going to use it a few times, you might be better off renting and not towing it so far. There is no right answer to your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by tla View Post
    my wife and i will be in alaska road trip fishing & sight seeing from Idaho for 6 or 7 weeks. we prefer to fly fish and are set up with 5wt and 8wt rods as well as some light and heavy conventional tackle. Camping along the way in a cab-over with limited room and the question is do i tow my Kofler drift boat or leave it. We don't want to bring it all that way if it will be more trouble than it is worth as we want it to be a relaxing trip. We do like to hike also. We like the small lakes and maybe some river floats, preferring to avoid the crowds if possible fishing for grayling to salmon. We will be in Kodiak for 2 weeks starting June 23rd to visit our son & family,(have a place in Saldatna to leave the boat) then wonder home. Are there places to back my camper to and launch the boat on many of the smaller lakes along the alaska hwy system? Any suggestions? I have The Highway Angler and the Milepost which will be a great help.
    Terry

I would say rent a raft and float down a few places.

no other commitments than fishing...other than points of interest along the way and in Kodiak for 2 weeks, a week or so through Canada each way(probably won't get fishing licenses in Canada but move along and spend the majority of the time in Alaska)
    I guess the question is do most of the small lakes and floatable rivers we would camp at while travelling around alaska have even primitive launch sites to back in a boat with the camper.

I would consider buying an inflatable kayak and using it when the fancy hits you. Perhaps a boat you could get some use out of (or sell) back home after your trip. With a boat like this you could easily store it in your camper during times when not using. You could put it in any body of water you could walk to.

One of the more popular places for drift boats is the Upper Kenai. Max (Alaskacanoe here) is a great guy and rents rafts, drift boat, canoes, etc.. Being that you will be in that area anyway, I would rent a boat from him and use his shuttle service as well. You won't meet a nicer person during your 6 weeks in Alaska than Max.

You might want to research the many hike in lakes on the Kenai. Perhaps let the good folks at Scenic Mountain Air (Moose Pass) fly you into one of the lakes and stay a night or two at a cabin. Many of which also have boats. Many of these lakes only have one cabin, so you would have plenty of privacy. Especially since some of the lakes are fly in only. Others are more accessible with trails and such. Might just find you a good grayling trip in doing this.

Also, the Kenai Canoe Trails would be a nice way to get away from the crowd. Max could tell you all you need to know and rent the canoes and such. Many options man. No way I would drive a drift boat up from Idaho with such an easy option 15 miles up the road from Soldotna.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1134

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/Kenaicanoesystem.html

-Dan

most main rivers up here worth fishing have a boat launch, some have more then one. they are listed in the ak milepost.

I would bring the boat, use it while here and then sell it up here. Used drift boats up here go for close to what new ones in your area go for! Ok maybe not exactly but I bet you could pay for your trip with what you could make on one up here and still buy a good used one back home!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I would bring the boat, use it while here and then sell it up here. Used drift boats up here go for close to what new ones in your area go for! Ok maybe not exactly but I bet you could pay for your trip with what you could make on one up here and still buy a good used one back home!
    Now there is some merit & a LOT of truth to that idea!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

thanks for the comments....we are looking forward to the trip and appreciate any ideas.