Thread: Top 3 all around flies

Default Top 3 all around flies

If you could only have 3 fly patterns in your box (which would suck) what would you have in there to cover about any salmon/trout?

1. Sculpin
    2. Egg sucking leech
    3. Egg pattern

What do you think?

I try not to so I figure I might as well respond to the question ask.

Without a doubt in my humble opinion the Woolley Bugger in all of its variations is the number one i.e. tied in a cone head it covers Scuplins, tied standard it is an actual egg sucking leach if you choose to add the egg, it also covers stones, dragons and damsels if youchange the size and the color, tied sparse with flash it can do a little smolt out if you choose.

So Bugger and Bead for AK and you can have fun without all the thinking.

Just sayen.

Clouser, Bugger and EHC.

Hmmm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm. Ok, they're not technically flies but always seem to work so I have a hard time throwing much of anything else.

I guess I need to spend more time at my local fly shop because I have no idea what a damsel or EHC is.

Squidro
    MOAL
    Techno Wog

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I guess I need to spend more time at my local fly shop because I have no idea what a damsel or EHC is.
    Damsel=dragonfly (basically- there are some differences)
    EHC= Elk Hair Caddis

The fly fishing gods will be mad but.
    1. Beads
    2. flesh fly
    3. egg sucking leach

Grayling
    1. any dry fly (renegade and adams are my favorite)
    2. bead headed nymphs
    3. some form of small Woolley Bugger

What's the best way to fish a Sculpin? I've never had much luck with them.

Well... for AK fishing at least...
    - sz. 6 ESL, black/purple with pink egg
    - sz. 4 sculpzilla, olive
    - sz. 2 Dolly Llama, black/white

that pretty much covers it up here.

What's the best way to fish a Sculpin? I've never had much luck with them.[/QUOTE]

Sculpins live in the rocks, constantly nosing bottom, so its best to fish 'em deep with short, erratic pulses and strips... sometimes a slight jig motion with rod tip can be quite effective. Its pretty fun way to fish once you get the hang of it.

1) Egg sucking leech
    2) conehead dali lamas
    3) Alaskabou

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    MOAL
    Mother of all leeches?

id say an egg sucking leach, dolly llama, and beads
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Mother of all leeches?
    Yep. Killer pattern. Swing it, strip it, drift it. Add a bead in front and you have a ridiculously large, fishy ESL. It's surprisingly versatile, swims like crazy, and fun to tie.

was watching some video earlier looks like a great pattern. Im terrible at articulated patterns but def gonna give this a try!

I get to addddddd data - Scuplins do not have swim bladders so they sink sink sink or is that they just don't float float float either way as pointed out they live on the bottom stay on the bottom and in some cases can be as long as 4-5 inches but on average around Ak a big one in most streams 2-4 inches and 4 would be pushing it. When most people fish the Ye Ole Famous Muddle Minnow well you get the point. The Dallleyeyeyey Lamaaaaaaa covers them as well but also does a great job with our friend the Eel Like smaller river type lamprey.

Damsel as point out is similar to a Draggon Fly however instead of being Beasty looking after they hatch they are neon colored normally Blue and or Green and Bright and about 1/2 size of our friend the Draggon fly.

What a fun topic.

OK Homies! Yo! I am out of here.

1. Woolly Bugger and its innumerable variations
    2. Clouser Minnow
    3. Beadhead Pheasant Tail

Pretty much anything can be imitated by some form of woolly bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
    i try not to so i figure i might as well respond to the question ask.

Without a doubt in my humble opinion the woolley bugger in all of its variations is the number one i.e. Tied in a cone head it covers scuplins, tied standard it is an actual egg sucking leach if you choose to add the egg, it also covers stones, dragons and damsels if youchange the size and the color, tied sparse with flash it can do a little smolt out if you choose.

So bugger and bead for ak and you can have fun without all the thinking.

Just sayen.
    amen !!!!!

Alaska's fish are opportunistic. They have more lean months under ice than bountiful months in open water. They must feed often and can't afford to be all that persnickety about what they eat. Sure fly pattern selection can be vital to success at times, but more important than anything is to simply be there, to be out there on the water getting flies wet. But if I had to vote for one fly pattern I'd go with the Wooly Bugger and its variations like others have said.

Have a great fishing season!

Jim

Ok, given the fact the Bugger in all it's varieties has taken the top spot, what about favorite Bugger size? Here in Colorado, I typically fish a size 8 and sometimes a size 6. My favorite Bugger is weighted on the shank, has a gold bead up front, black body, tail and hackle with a copper wire rib and a touch of red maribou tied on the bottom side at the head.

Spuddler size 2-4 Always Olive or Olive Brown Cone, Bead, Spun Deer Hair trimmed head aka the Scuplin. Ok Maybe sometimes a fur Spuddler and once in a while articulating. Clouser is Cool both catch fish just to include Salmon and Trout. I fish a lot of Size 4's extra heavy short shank with weight tied in. Once in a while depending on the river I will fish Black with red flash in the tail but mostly olive and ovile brown.

Galloups FLy shop has a great example of the beast. http://slideinn.com/blog/ that is of the articulating Conrad Scuplin

They also so a great picture of a Cone Head Zuddler which of course is a Woolley bugger tied with bunny fun or the same material known to tie our famous ESL if you wish them to last and we articulate those as well.

Later all