Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Hunting Survey

Default AK Hunting Survey

You may or may not have received the email about filling out a survey detailing your expenditures on hunting trips in Alaska. Apparently it's a state-sponsored initiative to figure out the economic impact of hunting on the state. Anyways, I was intrigued by one of the questions. I figured I'd see what sort of response it garners on here...

Capture.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

That's tough to rate those five in general terms, as it often depends on other factors - type of game I'm hunting, how much time I have to do so, etc. When I'm making a weekend meat run for caribou I have different priorities than if I'm heading into the mountains chasing sheep for a week. That said, I think your rankings reflect my own the majority of the time.

Just filled it out. Told them what probably most don't want said at the end part. No people was my most and quailty second amount of was last
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would be very hesitant to rank the importance of the "number of people in the hunting area" very high at all! I can see that being fodder for justifying increasing the number and size of draw areas as that is the only way to control hunter density.

I bet that we collectively shoot ourselves in the foot on this one.

I already posted of this in the game management thread about and hour n a half ago. Nobody over there seems to know what's the agenda. I sent an email to the link, but no response yet. I like to know the agenda of things like this, when you're asking all these questions, and offering 250 dollar rewards for people who participate.

My wife looked at it and asked..."So what did you really spend last year?"

Talk about PRESSURE!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

"What's their agenda?" was my first thought when I saw this in my email. Guess I should look at it. I'll be curious to see if you get an answer regarding their objective.

Spent?...........Shuks........how much did we make on huntings and its byproducts would be a worthy question.......... in sound mind, health and activity for our bodys and family as well as monatary gain.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Good answer, Chip. Stay strong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    in sound mind, health and activity for our bodys and family
    You can't put a pricetag on mental health.

I didn't respond to it and marked as spam! I don't want to help any outside source determine anything about hunting, camping, or fishing in alaska. Besides i was more worried about getting hacked. Or getting a virus on my pc or I-phone

I started the survey and then abandoned it. I responded to the original email with my concerns - doubtful that I will get a reply.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

i filled it out but seems to apply to people who go one one or two big trips and/or if you live out of state. if you go out once a week the info wouldnt be accurate at all. as chip can attest, everytime you leave town up here you're hunting...

Have to agree with Brian. Some priorities change depending on the outting.

Also concerned in that Alaskan's are generally passionate about our state, and we love what it has to offer. I figure a lot of people will jump on this survey in hopes of influencing F&G's management. However, without knowing the goal(s) of the survey and how it will be used, it's possible that some of the concerns posted on here could be valid.

Couldn't find anything on F&G's website either. So the spam/phishing potential came to mind at first, and then I figured if it was real, F&G did an absolutely poor job of communicating with the public. Not going to complete the survey until they reveal more.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i filled it out but seems to apply to people who go one one or two big trips and/or if you live out of state. if you go out once a week the info wouldnt be accurate at all. as chip can attest, everytime you leave town up here you're hunting...
    Agreed. I can't expect to sum up my hunting season by explaining my expenditures for a single "most recent" afternoon hunting bears, grouse, ptarmigan, or whatever else I happen to run into. That survey makes it hard to accurately represent your hunting experience.

Went to fill it out but it was "closed" to anymore people in my zip code (995XX). TMI I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Agreed. I can't expect to sum up my hunting season by explaining my expenditures for a single "most recent" afternoon hunting bears, grouse, ptarmigan, or whatever else I happen to run into. That survey makes it hard to accurately represent your hunting experience.
    Agreed. The survey is too detailed. I would venture to say that the more detailed a survey like this is, the less accurate the results. I filled it out but don't have good recall for my "last" hunt in 2011, which was now about 8 months ago.
    I'm sure the survey co. and F&G will say it is an accurate portrayal. Some of the questions were already answered on hunt report forms.

They're probably just trying to justify those nasty non res. guys stealing all our sheep!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I did it but I am not happy with how it was structured. It was clear to me that lots of things could be inferred from the results that simply aren't true.

I was aggravated by it asking me where I live and hunt most often, but then asking me a ton of detailed questions about one random trip to a hunting subunit a few hours away. Do I not spend enough on .410 shells on afternoon trips? Easy to see why the cashier is smiling when I walk in the door at Frontier Outfitters.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Agreed. The survey is too detailed. I would venture to say that the more detailed a survey like this is, the less accurate the results. I filled it out but don't have good recall for my "last" hunt in 2011, which was now about 8 months ago.
    Exactly! I feel that it should have asked about my "main" hunt of the year. Granted, some folks are able to take more than one hunt that requires intensive planning, saving, driving, etc.... But my ten day trip to the haul road in a 350 diesel in September would be more meaningful than my eight hour jaunt up Lynx Creek in mid-October; and I'm not into filling out surveys that make me feel like I have to back up three or four pages and lie about my last hunting "trip" to give ADF&G the best idea of how hunting impacts the economy in Alaska. How much did I spend to drive from Anchorage to the Johnson Pass trailhead? Who cares?! How much did I spend to drive from Anchorage to pump 2 and back? PLENTY!! And was it worth it? You betch'er arss it was!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast