Thread: 2012 Copper River Schedule

Default 2012 Copper River Schedule

Tentative ADF&G schedule posted here. First opening Thursday, June 7 @12:01AM.

If I get the job in Cordova it's going to be torture being around all those Copper River fish and not being able to get to the dipping.....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    If I get the job in Cordova it's going to be torture being around all those Copper River fish and not being able to get to the dipping.....
    We can float a report down the river and let you know how it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    We can float a report down the river and let you know how it's going.
    Put it in a Japanese bottle. Then when it washes up someone will find it and think it's from the tsunami.

If the run numbers look really good, is there any chance they might open it up early? Seeing strong numbers, and how about the ADF&G forcasst being right on so far?
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    If the run numbers look really good, is there any chance they might open it up early? Seeing strong numbers, and how about the ADF&G forcasst being right on so far?
    I doubt they'd open it early. If anything, they'd add more commercial openers. That's just my guess, though. The numbers aren't over the projected, which in F&G terms means they are managing it just right so far....lol. They would rather have the projected return than a surplus in-river. They are amazingly accurate with the projected return thus far, aren't they? That will change, just give it a little time. The salmon are never that predictable for long.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    If the run numbers look really good, is there any chance they might open it up early? Seeing strong numbers, and how about the ADF&G forecast being right on so far?
    Board of Fish actually changed the regs for the opening date to be no sooner than June 7. You can read about it here.

sonar matching the predictions is more a result of management of the commercial openers and how the secoincide with fish movement. doesn't say much about the strength of the run.

Copper River district landed over 200,000 sockeye monday, twice the harvest estimate...only 1300 kings though...so in terms of "forecasts", well, don't put too much stock in them is what i'm saying. I believe last Thursday's commercial sockeye harvest was also well over double the estimated.

Any word on what the harvest numbers are looking like out of Cordova today?

Seems like strong on the reds so far, not so many Kings

It's about to surge at Miles Lake.

I'll be in Cordova soon. If I can get decent internet somewhere I'll try to keep you guys up to date with numbers if I can get them.

The real interesting data that we don't have access to is the Eyak Fisheries fishwheels. If you could get that for us, that would be super, because they have a wheel just downriver of the DZ. Their site is: http://eyakfish.com/fisheries.html

No promises on that. I'll inquire, though.

Here's the guy to contact:
    Keith Van Den Broek
    DENR Director
    907-424-2229