Thread: Moose

Default Moose

I believe that the local people living in remote villages in the Alaskan interior shoot Moose to stock up the larder for winter,could anyone tell me how many Moose are they allowed to shoot in a season and also how do the preserve the meat? Thanks

caribou are much more of a subsistence food, and in an alaskan interior winter you can just leave your meat outside....
    many areas have "limits" of 5/day, especially where they are a staple.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I live 15 miles outside of one of those villages. A hunter is allowed one moose per season. However, there can be several hunters in a household. My wife and I get one moose a year plus a black bear and along with some fish it's plenty to get us through a year. It depends partly on the size of the moose of course. As long as the weather is cool and reasonably dry, I hang the quarters for 10-14 days before butchering. I then freeze the packaged and wrapped meat in a freezer until it is cold enough outside to move to an outdoor bin I use for winter food storage. That's the simplified version of what we do out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post

Still, if your in a village, there is no one to answer to regardless. Ask Strangerinstrangeland how many times out of all the days he's been in field that he's dealt with wardens. It's something like 1 encounter at most per season. Not bad when your season is 300 days a year.

Thanks ykrvak,thats very interesting.I am really envious of you guys out there even if it is a hard life.Tomorrow morning i will be taking my wife to the superstore to do our weekly shopping,much easier but not as interesting.

Thanks Spruce goose,i guess you have a point there,if your miles from anywhere no ones going to know what yor shooting,not like here in the Uk.My sons and i went duck hunting last year,we had permission,but a local anti rang the police and we had armed police and dog handlers all over us,there was even a police helicopter hovering overhead,but when we showed the cops our written permission they went off to give the anti a telling off for wasting police time.

Thanks Lone Wolf

Dont be thinking that foolish crap is tolerated just because theres no cops around. Im certain there are people who are still alive simply because getting caught is the most likely thing to happen if bodys are getting disposed of or such, or found out by others. Its not much different with Hunting

YOU, yourself, will know what you have done and your tracks will tell everything, as well as what arrives in your sled will be observed and deduced by your neighbors, who will ask you where you have been hunting, and who can talk with others and even see for themselfs.... as well as folks knowing when someone else was out and about in places they frequent. It dosen take long to ask around and easily peice together what kind of sucess a Hunter has, and while its self regulatory, you cannot hide anything from an AIRPLANE, which the Trooper will fly........so If your not doing things correctly, you will be corrected in the same way that villages Supress fires and policeing in villages with no trooper or Police Officers, we will do it ourselfs and with a phone call, an FnG trooper is 1/2 an hour away by plane, either to look for someone lost/brokedown/injured self or to bust someone a Game violation.
    Nothing much gets by in a small village. There may not be details, but the young men who are out and about will know.

People here rely on the resources and have developed ways to utilize everything, as well that relyance breeds a protectiveness that keeps those who abuse and misuse in check with those of us who wont tollerate it.

Some times there are several Hunters in a family, sometimes there are several familys being fed , at least partially, but a single hunter.

I can dispose of everything, by consuming, giving and trading where and when appropriate, and prestige is found in knowing when to make a great catch for such and when to watch it walk by, as well as a guy efficiency at his skinning,butchering and distribution to those who rely on him........Its seen and talked about by everone.

So keep to the Law and all will be well for you to Keep yer meat.
    You can freeze it, dry it, smoke it, eat it fresh, but I preferr a Fall Moose thats hung awhile, and a younge bull at that, but Im not big on Moose , Ill eat it for sure, but usually only when we have no Caribou or MuskOx or Ptarmigan, or Rabbits, or Fish....

Were allowed 1 each up this way , with various hunts for various conditions. Consult the FnG Hunting book, for the place you wanna hunt, its easy and its the laws, in yer hands.....cant go wrong there
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....