Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Petition to Reduce Halibut Bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska

  1. #1

    Default Petition to Reduce Halibut Bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska

    I don't visit this forum often and I usually kind of steer clear of "political" sort of issues, but being a person that cares a lot about halibut management this seems appropriate. I posted this same link on the "Saltwater Fishing" forum and someone suggested I post it here to. So anyone that is interested in signing a petition from the Alaska Marine Conservation Council for taking action to reduce halibut bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska can do so at this link: http://www.akmarine.org/our-work/con...gulf-of-alaska

    Lots of other good stuff on their site as well.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  2. #2
    Member AKBighorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I don't visit this forum often and I usually kind of steer clear of "political" sort of issues, but being a person that cares a lot about halibut management this seems appropriate. I posted this same link on the "Saltwater Fishing" forum and someone suggested I post it here to. So anyone that is interested in signing a petition from the Alaska Marine Conservation Council for taking action to reduce halibut bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska can do so at this link: http://www.akmarine.org/our-work/con...gulf-of-alaska

    Lots of other good stuff on their site as well.
    I don't see where this does anything but target the commercial fishery. While I don't think that is a bad idea I also have refrained from reading all this type of stuff for quite some time and things may be different but I can't get past the fact that you admittedly practice retaining 2 halibut every day that you are fishing with clients on board and sometimes/regularly give them your fish as a bonus since they paid to catch fish. If you are going to go after the commercial fishery you should (if you haven't already) quit this practice. If the laws haven't already changed to control guides from doing so then you should voluntarily add it to the petition as someone whom cares about the resource as you say.

    Maybe I'm off base but that whole conversation just rubs me wrong. If you have changed or been forced to change your ways then you have my apology for even mentioning it.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I don't see where this does anything but target the commercial fishery. While I don't think that is a bad idea I also have refrained from reading all this type of stuff for quite some time and things may be different but I can't get past the fact that you admittedly practice retaining 2 halibut every day that you are fishing with clients on board and sometimes/regularly give them your fish as a bonus since they paid to catch fish. If you are going to go after the commercial fishery you should (if you haven't already) quit this practice. If the laws haven't already changed to control guides from doing so then you should voluntarily add it to the petition as someone whom cares about the resource as you say.

    Maybe I'm off base but that whole conversation just rubs me wrong. If you have changed or been forced to change your ways then you have my apology for even mentioning it.
    While your personal beef with the original poster may be valid from your perspective, from my perspective I don't see how it's especially relevent. The link posted refers to an organization simply working to reduce waste created by the trawl industry. This group is not necessarily taking sides, they're simply attempting to ensure wasteful halibut bycatch practices are reduced. In my opinion, it's a fine start, but deosn't go remotely far enough toward eliminating the gross ecological damage and destructive waste created by trawl fishing practices. I have difficulty seeing the validity of comparing the legal, selective practice of an individual hook and line fisherman with the large scale waste and damage inherent to industrial trawl fishing. my.02
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  4. #4
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Thanks for posting the link Muttley. Can't give you any rep right now Tiaga but I agree with you. Hook and line personal take should always trump the commercial fishery IMO. Especially when there is bycatch. Elimainate the bycatch then start asking personal use fisherman to curb the take if a reduction is still necessary. -1 to the trawlers.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    Thanks for posting the link Muttley. Can't give you any rep right now Tiaga but I agree with you. Hook and line personal take should always trump the commercial fishery IMO. Especially when there is bycatch. Elimainate the bycatch then start asking personal use fisherman to curb the take if a reduction is still necessary. -1 to the trawlers.
    Appreciate your kind sentiment, but didn't mean to imply that I was siding with personal use/sport fishing vs. commercial fishing (although I suppose I would, if it ever came to that). I am not at all against commercial fishing, just commercial industrial fishing techniques that are unacceptably harmful/wasteful.

    My thanks also to Muttley for posting this. Hopefully everyone will take a moment to send comments.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  6. #6
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Appreciate your kind sentiment, but didn't mean to imply that I was siding with personal use/sport fishing vs. commercial fishing (although I suppose I would, if it ever came to that). I am not at all against commercial fishing, just commercial industrial fishing techniques that are unacceptably harmful/wasteful.

    My thanks also to Muttley for posting this. Hopefully everyone will take a moment to send comments.
    Agreed. Commercial fishing is in the blood here. Especially the mom and pop outfits. Some of the large commercial trawl companies are not doing their part to reduce their impact, especially with bycatch. Personal use should be the last ones asked to cut. Especially when the trawlers are wasting so much.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •