Thread: Boots

Default Boots

I have heard read a lot on these Xtra-Tuff Boots and seen them on Deadliest Catch.
    For the fisherman what one's are the most common? 12 or 16 inch Steel or regular toe.

Default Xtra-tuffs

In southeast I wear nothing but 16". On a hot day you can roll them down. On a cold day your toes will be quite cold with steel toes. I would recommend staying away from them. We call xtra-tuffs--Ketchikan sneakers!

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-10-2007 at 09:04. Reason: added info

Thats the ones I thought but in searching there where choices.
    I am coming up in June and thought I would get a pair.
    Thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    In southeast I wear nothing but 16". On a hot day you can roll them down. On a cold day your toes will be quite cold with steel toes. I would recommend staying away from them. We call xtra-tuffs--Ketchikan sneakers!

kingfisherktn

I like the higher xtratuff as well. When they get old you cut them and then you have 12 inch boots or make them into slip ons.

The steel toe boots are very cold! Also bend and could possibly cut your toes off. I'd rather have a crushed toe than lose all 5.

And I totally recoment the insulated xtra tuffs!! I know you said summer, but the non-insulated make my feet sweat. The insulation is just some neoprene that lines the boot. It soaks up whatever sweat your feet put out. They aren't that hot either (well beyond being a non-breathable thick rubber boot!).
    Make sure you buy a felt insole or a Dr Scholls insole for the boot as well. They don't have a footbed really. The felt insoles are the cheapest, but I like the green shaped Dr. Scholls insert as I have flat feet!

I love my Xtra Tuffs! Out commercial fishing you will not see any deckhands with more than a season of experience that don't wear Xtra Tuffs. There is a good reason for their ubiquity - those boots last a looooong time and are built as well as a rubber boot can be. Well worth the extra cost!

Wear mine all the time too...great boots. I've got these liners for mine that I wear instead of a heavy socks. They are called Bama socks and are bright blue. I think they sell them at B&J Commercial in Anchorage. I've always bought mine in Dutch or Homer. So anyways, they have some wool/poll insulation, but aren't too thick and are very comfy. They keep my feet plenty warm. THe best part about them though is that when I take my boots off, the cotton outside of the liner is damp but the inside of the boot isn't as damp as it would be with just straight socks on. This is nice if you wear your boots alot. Helps them to dry a little quicker or at least thats what it seems to me. The liners also dry quickly as well too. Also since my foot is a half size and Xtratuffs only come in whole sizes, it helps fill in the extra space in the boot for a better fit.

Default boots

Xtra Tuffs are the best. I like the 16's but keep them rolled down most of the summer. About the only time I roll them up is when I'm launching my boat or moose hunting in the swamps. I bought a pair of the low cut sneaker Xtra Tuffs this fall and can't wait to see how stylin' I'll look when I wear them with my shorts that one day out of the whole summer!

the best boot made. that being said i remember when they were even better.any one remember when you too them off and they would stand strait up now they just colaps and they didn't wear a hole where you folded them down.

Default 2 Kinds

As I recall from my old Sitka days, there used used to be two kinds, the Goodyear, and the Uniroyal. Can't recall which was better, but one was a lighter brown than the other. We called them "Sitka Sneakers", and nobody went out in the woods or on a boat without them.

SOLD!!!
    Your all great Salesman!!!
    Bought a pair for myself and my son. 2 sets of wool inserts each.
    How's this for a price? Best I found on my search. They sell to Deadliest Catch Crew of the Northwestern.

http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...idproduct=7762
    BOOTS XTRATUF REG TOE

SKU: SRV22272G
    Weight: 4 lbs 13 ozs

Servus Boot Xtratuf Reg Toe More details...
    Price: $66.30

Nice boots but they are too narrow for my blocky feet and too tight in calves for me, its hard to get them off. I like my old style big top lobstermans boots .

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default XtraTuf Boot Repair

I put a hole in my XtraTufs this weekend. The last set was over ten years old before they finally leaked and these are only ~2 years old so anyone know what works to patch these things that will hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by JJSLUG View Post
    SOLD!!!
    Your all great Salesman!!!
    Bought a pair for myself and my son. 2 sets of wool inserts each.
    How's this for a price? Best I found on my search. They sell to Deadliest Catch Crew of the Northwestern.

http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...idproduct=7762
    BOOTS XTRATUF REG TOE

SKU: SRV22272G
    Weight: 4 lbs 13 ozs

Servus Boot Xtratuf Reg Toe More details...
    Price: $66.30

Looks like a good deal to me, I usually spend about $70 per pair.

Default Fish Witch

FW, I've used inner tube patch kits with good success. For emergency repairs Goop works well.

kingfisherktn

I've got 4 seasons on my Xtra Tuffs. I might try a set of the insulated models when these finally give up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I put a hole in my XtraTufs this weekend. The last set was over ten years old before they finally leaked and these are only ~2 years old so anyone know what works to patch these things that will hold up?
    Get the salt and oil scrubbed off, dry completely, then cover the hold with McNett AquaSeal... the same stuff we use on Neoprene drysuits, wetsuits, rubber rafts, etc. It dries hard, but for the holes that form where you fold them over it's great. I have 2 lines on each boot where they fold and the AquaSeal makes a nice chafe resistant pad where they've worn through... of course it took almost 15 years for them to wear through!

I keep a bicycle patch kit on the boat for temp repairs when I'm in a hurry too...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]