Thread: Stand update

Default Stand update

Got the stand out 2 weeks ago. On the second day, 3 sets of fresh bear tracks within 300 yards. Two brownies and a blackie. Nothing closer than that to the set. Then, on last Friday, went out and found a huge brownie track within 50 yards of the bait, but he didn't go in to the site. I expect they will start hitting it any day now. I'm going to have my son sit up in the stand with his nerf gun to scare the brownies off the bait! Probably not legal, but I'll check the regs before I do it. The stand ended up being 28 yards from the bait. Closer than I originally thought, but given the area I picked, it was the best location.

Is this common for bears to check it from a distance for awhile before going into the bait? I don't think anyone has baited in this area for a lot of years, so I'm guessing the bears are not used to associating baiting smells with food, like they would in area's where there is a lot of stands.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

It will take them a bit to work up the nerve to come in. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the good smells will infest their mind eventually and they'll show up.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Bears that havn't visited a station before will often circle the station several times before entering, they aren't stupid and are careful to persue a free, "to good to be true" meal at times. Then their are bears in an area with several baits that have spent most there lives at bait stations every spring, they will come running into the station like they own the place. Sounds like you have a bad Griz problem, use fire crackers, the loud noise will freak them out, and you wont have to harm a hair on the bear, that way F&G won't throw a fit. Just an idea, GOOD LUCK!!

Be careful. You're approaching harassment as defined in the regs. Dad was completely joking around with the biologist one year about practicing with paintball guns on moose they call into the stands and he got a real dirty look. Pretty sure he knew dad well enough to know he wasn't serious but he sure didn't like the thought of it!

Thanks for the info Pike and Casey! I'm really jazzed about anything coming into the stand while I'm there. Even if I can't shoot the brownies, it'll be fun to watch them.

Understand Mod. That's why I noted that I would speak with F&G. It might just possibly be the law is that we have to 'let em eat'. That's what I'm guessing. Then I'll have a nice wildlife viewing stand with a chance at a black bear if I get lucky.

Thanks for the advice!
    Claude

Hey Claude, How is the highway out your way? Thinking about driving out that way to look for a brown fuzzy critter.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Understand Mod. That's why I noted that I would speak with F&G. It might just possibly be the law is that we have to 'let em eat'. That's what I'm guessing. Then I'll have a nice wildlife viewing stand with a chance at a black bear if I get lucky.
    Yeah I figured you know what you're doing. That was mostly meant for other peoples benefit. Just like any other hunting it's 99 percent the adventure and seeing critters and 1 percent bringing one home

My most enjoyable moment in the stand was when mom and I just sat and watched a boar and sow come in and eat. Then a small boar came right under the stand and the big boar ran him off. That was fun! I bet even if those griz come in you guys will get a kick out of it.

The Denali Highway at least out to Cantwell is excellent, Adison! Only thing is dust, but in great shape. I expect the trails will finally be clearing up this week. Valdez and Windy Creeks should be open for at least getting up there in a wheeler a little ways. There are fuzzies wondering everywhere. Must have seen a half dozen tracks crossing the highway in the Canyon Creek area on the way out Sunday. Our 'forum bear hunters special' runs through the end of May. But even if your not staying with us, come on up and get a bear! Temps have been near 60's with clear skies.

Mod Elan, that's what I was thinking.... just because I can't shoot them doesn't mean we won't have a lot of fun watching them from 28 yards away!