Thread: Best all around fly rod

Default Best all around fly rod

What is the best all round fly rod for Alaska? I have a 10 foot 8 weight and a 9 foot 5

You already have the answer in your rack- There's no such thing as a do-it-all fly rod. Even with your spread, you have a ways to go. Add something suitable for kings on big water and then you're close. I.e., the best all around setup for Alaska is about three fly rods, and no one or two can do it all.

Me? I have trouble holding it down to six rods: A 3 or 4 for Dollies and grayling and salty pinks on calm days; a 5 or 6 for bigger trout, windy pinks and light duty silvers and reds when not knocking elbows with new best friends; a 7 or 8 for silvers in general and reds with new best friends; a 9 or 10 for big chums, windy silvers, average duty kings; an 11 or 12 for kings on big water and light duty halibut; and a 14 for big deep halibut.

If one rod had to do it all, I guess it would be a 14 weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If one rod had to do it all, I guess it would be a 14 weight.
    It sure would be interesting watching you fish a size 12 elk hair caddis for grayling with a 14 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It sure would be interesting watching you fish a size 12 elk hair caddis for grayling with a 14 wt.
    Far more feasible than tossing an 8" halibut streamer with my 3-weight!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Far more feasible than tossing an 8" halibut streamer with my 3-weight!!!!
    But watching you launch a 12" grayling 4.6 miles over the nearest mountain range on the hookset would be pretty entertaining!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    But watching you launch a 12" grayling 4.6 miles over the nearest mountain range on the hookset would be pretty entertaining!!!
    Same for a 9-wt or maybe an 8-wt, I bet. But come to think of it, that halibut fly would put up a heck of a fight on a 3-wt!

All good fun, and it helps make my point. There's no such beast as an all around rod, and I'm glad of it. I'd hate for anyone to tell me I could only have one!

Am I going to be ok if all I have for a trip there are the 5 and 8 weights? would the Kenai be too fast for the 8 with the reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Am I going to be ok if all I have for a trip there are the 5 and 8 weights? would the Kenai be too fast for the 8 with the reds?
    My whole family uses 8wts for reds on the Kenai. Some people use lighter, some use heavier. I find an 8 just right for that task.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Foo, an 8wt and 5wt will do you just fine.

Sounds good. Although I have a monster tuna rod I could bring to sling some lead core line

Just do your-self a favor with the 8W on the Kenai if you find your-self between a bunch of people using boat rods and accomplishing the Twitch find another place to toss. Nothing says trouble fishing between a couple of home fries meat hauling and people like you and me tossing floss between them it just ain't pretty. Enjoy your trip!

I bet folks are none to happy when we show up either sometimes.