Thread: What damage can cold temps do to my motor?

Default What damage can cold temps do to my motor?

I was just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what could happen to my outboard motor (2010 Evinrude etec 50hp) if I leave it outside, wrapped and covered well in the winter on the Kenai Peninsula? This was my first winter season with it and I took it off and put it in the heated utility closet in my small condo. Weighing in at 230 lbs. it was a major PITA! Other than making sure the water is drained from the cooling system, what other considerations should I account for?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    I was just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what could happen to my outboard motor (2010 Evinrude etec 50hp) if I leave it outside, wrapped and covered well in the winter on the Kenai Peninsula? This was my first winter season with it and I took it off and put it in the heated utility closet in my small condo. Weighing in at 230 lbs. it was a major PITA! Other than making sure the water is drained from the cooling system, what other considerations should I account for?
    As long as you change the lower unit oil before you store it for the winter and leave the motor in the down position it will be fine.
    Mine has been stored outdoors in Canada for more than 20 years and it's fine.

Fogging it is a good idea as well.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Fogging it is a good idea as well.......
    The etecs fog themselves. They have a "winterization" mode.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've left my various outboard motors outside, mounted on the boats for the last 40 some winters. As long as the motor is "winterized" your good to go. Disconnect the batteries, change the oil in a 4 stroke. and fog it down if it doesn't have a "winterization mode"..

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    As long as you change the lower unit oil before you store it for the winter and leave the motor in the down position it will be fine.
    Mine has been stored outdoors in Canada for more than 20 years and it's fine.
    Unaware of the lower unit oil. The only oil I know of, other than grease points, is the two stroke oil reservoir up top. This is the only place I know where oil goes on this two stroke DFI. (not a mechanic though)

The E-tecs have a winterization mode that is done through a laptop by a dealer. I am not sure if a guy can make it kick into winterize mode on its own. I think it just injects more 2-cycle oil into the motor to lube it up for winter. The lower unit oil is accessed through a plug on the bottom of the lower unit (on the bottom of the lower unit housing in front of the prop). Just loosen the screw (big flat head screw) and see if the gear oil is clear, if it is your good to go (if its a milky white, then it has water in it and may freeze and crack your lower unit).

Oops beat me to it. What he ^^^^^^ said.

Any marine motor, of any size, is a major investment. The more you learn about how to take care of it, the more money you will save and the greater the chances that it will not fail you when you need it most. While advice by others on this or any forum will be helpful, the best bet is to get a copy of the owner's manual (and possibly a shop manual if you want to take it a step further) and read it cover to cover. Even if you were to take it in to a dealer for regularly scheduled service, there are still things that you need to know about the motor for when you are not near a dealer.

Good point skydiver. I have read the owners manual fairly well, although brushing up is not a bad idea. As to the winterization mode gpaul99 is referring to, it is pretty easy with the etecs, done in five minutes; no dealer needed. Just have to fog the motor by taking it through a series of actions including starting and running the motor per the owner's manual until you intentionally kill it; then it is fogged.

So far I've stored my '06 suzuki 140 on my transom through 5 winters, and while I while I haven't had a chance to start it this season, it's faired fine through each previous winter.

Really so long as you don't have any water trapped in the cooling passages that would freeze and damage the engine, they are pretty bullet proof these days. Changing the lower end oil and inspecting the water pump per the manufacturers recomendation and all you really need to do is add gas and oil and go.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I ran my motors on the hose last year with salt away run through them and then I drained my lower units. This spring I filled them back up .. that is all... motors fired up on the first bump this spring and ran good on the first trip. Only problem I had was one battery went bad this winter... oh well they were 5 years old and time for new ones anyway.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson