Thread: Cordova and PWS and CR Delta cell phone providers...who has best coverage?

Default Cordova and PWS and CR Delta cell phone providers...who has best coverage?

Easy enough question, and similar to one already posed, but I didn't really get a solid answer to the specific area of Cordova and the waters around it. Who has the best cell phone coverage, is there decent data, and will a prepaid phone suffice for the summer? I have AT&T now but have heard they are about the worst over there.

I'm kind of limited to GCI or ACS, I guess, given the local wireless markets....

I had AT&T for a long time with the Iphone. I lost reception around Pigot, but last summer I was able to find a small window around Naked Is. where I got service. My bro-n-law had MTA and had great reception out there.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

ACS has pretty good coverage in the sound compared to the other providers, based on my observations. I get coverage in most of the northern and central sound, depending on how far up in a bay or what big hills are around. As of last summer, there was no coverage down by chenega with acs, although GCI put a tower up down there. I don't know how far their coverage goes. With acs, I can search the net on my phone when I have bars, but it's not 3G, if I remember correctly. I activated the wifi hotspot on my phone for this summer for downloading the ADF&G comm fish announcements on my nav computer. We'll see how that goes.

So far this summer, I've had great cell service with ATT from Culross and beyond.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

In eastern PWS say halfway between Valdez and Cordova our Verizon phones work great but pretty sure they are roaming on Copper Valley Wireless who has a tower on Naked. None of my friends on ATT could get reception. We can do text but haven't tried any online data stuff.

Cooper Valley is the local carrier in the area and has the best coverage. Both ACS and Verizon work off their towers. Fishing for silvers around Valdez I had 3g with ACS and my friends could not even make a call with their phone.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Edit: LOL@Graylingslayer. We posted at the exact same time and you confirmed everything I said below. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input. Like a lot of Alaska, it sounds like it just depends on whose tower you happen to be by. Out of Valdez last year I had basically nothing on my ATT phone. Guys I was fishing with from Kansas on Verizon I think were getting good enough service to play Pandora music.

I think Verizon shares ACS' network up here, so maybe I'll just get an ACS prepaid phone for the summer....

A digital cellular phone antenna amplifier works GREAT as well but they are a little spendy. Mine boost's my signal out an additional 20 miles beyond what the phone normally has, and up to 10 users can be on the signal. If you see a green 26' Boulton Explorer out in the sound, pull up next to me and chances are that you'll have a signal!

AT&T has added some coverage from last summer. I was talking to FISHFACE from north of Naked Island a few weeks ago.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded