Thread: PWS black bear movement yet?

Question PWS black bear movement yet?

Just wondering if anyone has seen black bears out poking around in the western side of the Sound yet? Heading down to Whittier next week and am debating taking the snow shoes. Any input would be appreciated.

I got one, saw three and Kotton saw three, group got three.

I think they are out and about

They are out for sure. Just take your time and look on the clear hillsides. Snowshoes wouldn't be too bad either just in case. The snow is really rotten out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Snowshoes are a good bet I was out Sunday and didn't see anything but only made to culros weather was to bad to go any further. Looked to be 4-5 feet still above tide line

Hubby just called from PWS. Out on the boat with 2 other guys. Left yesterday (Wednesday). 3-4 feet of snow where they were initially going to hunt today (Thursday a.m.), so headed south past Main Bay. Rec'd a call this afternoon from him - sucess! They killed 2 Black Bears and had an easy (snowless)/excellent time/beautiful weather/NO ONE there. Again, go SOUTH.....

Weather is calling for rain tomorrow along with NE winds 15knots seas 3 foot, similar to last two weekends! You small boats becareful and don't be stupid, see jon boats on a regular basis, PWS is really no place for those, especially with kids! It is one thing to put your own life in your hands, but a kid, come on people! If the rain don't hit or it don't rain to hard, bears are gonna be out. Snow is a good thing people! Everyone be safe. Head northish like towards valdez and you will have following seas are your ride back in. South in this so called weather prediction could give you a long bumpy ride.

Hope it don't snow too hard, might have to fire up the Wallace to back up the furnace.
    Hogg bay all the way.

Me and a couple buddies where just there two weekends ago and saw a small skiff out there, seemed alittle crazy to me. We didnt see any bears out there but we really were not looking. Just getting the my first boat out for the second time. We have a hunt planned there for the 8-11 of next month, with the high snow levels there we are hoping to see alot of bears running about. Good luck

Me and my buddy were out there on April 30th. The boat starter was acting up so we just took the waverunners. We went out to Blackburn Bay then out through Culross passage and then around Culross island and worked our way back. We checked out all the little bays along the way and didn't see a single bear. We put on about 90 miles. We saw a bunch of tracks in the snow but it was still early. It was pretty cold, and if I were them I would have crawled back into my hole too. The morning was nice but then snowed on us for most of the day. It hailed for awhile and then the fog rolled in pretty heavy. Good thing we brought the snowmachine goggles. Here are some photos and videos.

100_0112.jpg100_0113.jpg

Great video and pictures 907pride! I have seen people on jetskis out in PWS a couple of times and am amazed that you guys can stay warm enough on them. What do you normally wear? Looked like a lot of snow was still on the ground.

Nice video 907, I've been all over western PWS on a Waverunner. 90 Miles may sound like a long trip. In reality, it's about an Hour and a half trip.. I used to carry four 5 gallon cans of fuel on the side rails, and a cooler full of "refreshments", food, and gear mounted to the "swim step". And a Rod holder mounted to the lid of the cooler! Damm!!! That was fun! We had several 200+ mile days.. That's the way to see the Sound! Fast and fun. And jumping the wake of the Ferry! Good times.... (grin)

Yah, there was still about 4' of snow or more in the shade. Gary, it may be a good idea to bring the snowshoes if you have room, but I'm sure allot has changed in the past few weeks. The only place we found that didn't have allot of snow was on the South side of Culross Island. We were just wearing our typical windproof rain gear and waders. We stayed really warm except for our hands. Like SuperCub said, you are going really fast and when its that cold its really hard to keep your hands warm. I felt like we were going slow and checking out all of the little coves, and we still covered all of that ground in just the morning alone. I think we were back at the docks around 2PM. It was allot of fun. But in the long run, it was just too early. Some tracks is all we saw.