Thread: ifly 720 vs garmin aeri 500

Default ifly 720 vs garmin aeri 500

Which one do people think is better, after doing much research my concern now is mounting the ifly 720 to a panel in a stick and rudder tail wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Which one do people think is better, after doing much research my concern now is mounting the ifly 720 to a panel in a stick and rudder tail wheel.
    I hope Mr. Pid signs in on this one. He's had plenty of GPS experience I think . . . . .

I have the Garmin Aera 550 and would never be without again! I have not used the other but it looks like a nice unit. I like the compactness of the Garmin and ease of use. However like all Garmin products they are overpriced IMO. The update subscription is pricey also! I would think a RAM yoke mount would work great on the diagonal tubes on a stick & rudder plane.

I have seen most cub owners mount there units on the dash or panel with a Ram mount.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I have seen most cub owners mount there units on the dash or panel with a Ram mount.
    There are lots of options for mounting an iFly. RAM makes lots of option, AirGizmois about to release a panel dock and then there is good old Velcro. Sounds crazy, but the iFly 720 us flat on the back with all connections recessed on the sides. It's clean, extremely affordable and easy to remove. Just search the Forum on the iFlyGPS.com site. Lots of great info.

I've had an iFly 700 for almost 2 years and traded up to the 720. I love it more than the day I bought it. I've used just about every make of GPS and the iFly 720 beats all. I beta test as well and Terrain (relative and profile), Obstruction w/ alerts and Vertical Flight Planning is going in Version 7 Software Update just weeks away. The overpriced and high cost updates days can be over. The iFly 720 will do more for much less and is constantly adding new features in software updates. Best investment I ever made.

Profile created today and that sales pitch seems funny.
    Better pay Icebear for advertising.
    What airport are you based out of?

FWIW: I have a Aera 500 in the 180 panel. Rebuilt the cub panel and but another area 500 in it. (a friend put them in their 206's too) So I guess I like them. ...... but I only use as an SA tool. keep my eyes outside 99%. So it does all kind of neat stuff I don't need nor know how to do. The ability to just tap on the screen>direct>enter is nice. Not often going to an "airport" and hate creating a waypoint every time I want to go direct.

The only reason I have a GPS is as a nav aid when the visibility gets low. Other than that the only time I use it is to cross check air speed to ground speed to gauge the wind. I still have my original Garmin GPS 90 and if Garmin still supported the software I'd still use it. The screen was a little small but it gave me all I needed to know. The Garmin 196 and 296s do more than I need but that's what I have in my planes. The 296 has V nav and a color screen and after all these years? I don't need either. I've looked at newer boxes but since the ones I have do all I need there's no reason to change. Alaska doesn't get XM services and that's the driving feature on most newer GPS units. If I flew in the lower 48 I'd buy an XM compatible box and would keep it updated for tower recognition but I live in Alaska, so that stuff is lost on me. Touch screen vs buttons? Small details. I can adapt to either one. Like a stick vs a yoke, they are simply tools to transmit pilot inputs and they both work well. At the end of the day the information they provide is the same.

Depending how crowded the Cub panel is the standard Garmin mount may be the best bet. That's what I used in one case. Mounted ON the panel, not on top of it. Used a Gizmo dock in the other. I prefer external antennae and hard wiring in all cases.

My $.02 . . . . I've heard others have had trouble with a touch panel in the plane when you're bouncing around in turbulence (I have trouble on the iPad with this too), and my belief is that the aera is to small for my fat fingers. I looked real hard at the iFlight - it appears to be a capable product, and at an affordable price point. I was leery venturing too far away from product support from an unknown (to me) company.

I'm using a 495 on a mount up on my glareshield, until I someday redo the avionics and put it in a Airgizmo panel mount. I also use my iPad 1 mounted to a SeaSucker mount running Foreflight. I also use the Bad Elf GPS to boost the signal. The GPS has been flawless, and the the charts availability is priceless. Form factor is probably too big with the iPad for a Cub/Citabria or other two-seater.

I HIGHLY recommend the Sea Sucker mount - would work great on the iFly also. It won't come loose - period.

I have too agree with Sierra about the touch screen when it's bouncy. I have only played with my Aera in the truck and it can be interesting trying to type. You have to push pretty hard with your nail, and if your bouncing at all it will make it that mutch harder. A friend stole his kids plastic stylis from his game and said it made a big difference.

Sounds like the ifly is a sweet unit, I will definitly be getting a 720 next summer, I hope that they get the canadian sectionals by next summer but im not holding my breath.