Thread: Rookie to Talkeetna River

Default Rookie to Talkeetna River

I need to pick someone's brain about this area. I'm wanting to head out on a 4 day trip up river and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it. Anyone know the area well?

Did lots of tours and drop offs all the way up to Deception creek into the canyon. Not much to know about the Talkeetna Look at Google earth.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Did lots of tours and drop offs all the way up to Deception creek into the canyon. Not much to know about the Talkeetna Look at Google earth.
    Isn't deception creek around Willow? Is that the one you are referring to? I've never launched from Talkeetna and want to hit the Big Su from there. I'm mostly looking for current water conditions and feasability of leaving my trailer and truck at the launch for 4+ days.

I am willing to bet he meant Disappointment Creek. The Talkeetna launch and parking area will have plenty of room this time of year and you should be able to make it from the launch down into the Big Su.

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    I am willing to bet he meant Disappointment Creek. The Talkeetna launch and parking area will have plenty of room this time of year and you should be able to make it from the launch down into the Big Su.
    Sorry that's what I meant .....Water was fine the other day I took the airboat out before I sold it lots of people up at clear creek fishing. Talkeetna boat launch is safe. The first cruise ship comes in Thursday so Mayhas' will be up and running tours on the river.How far down the Su or up are you going ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I have been on the Big Su mutiple times this season. Water is more shallow than I can remember this time of year. Lots of snow and ice up past Sherman but the river is wide open. PM me if you have an specific questions. Duckdon