Thread: A new marlin.....

Default A new marlin.....

I had occasion here recently to make a trade with an old gun trader buddy of mine. He wanted a certain S&W revolver I had and I took a liking to an old Marlin 336 saddle ring carbine (tactical, thanks doug.). This little rifle had the brass saddle ring and was marked 336-44 and chambered for the 44 mag. It is straight gripped and I think it is called the Texan though it is not so marked. A neat and useful modification was the addition of good adjustable aperture sight and half moon front. The dove tail in the barrel for the rear was filled and nicely done leaving only the hint of a line where the dovetail was. It was then refinished in matte blue. It does shoot great and the first thing I tested was does it feed 44 special.....it does just as smooth as old scotch whiskey. The 336 action is too long for the short 44 cartridge and there is some factory modifications to the action to get it to feed but feed it does. It was made in 1964, the model 1894 was reintroduced in 1969, there after was the only action Marlin offered the 44 magnum/special cartridge in. A lovely little rifle. It even fits my old Martin saddle just fine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sounds like a really great gun. I have had my eye out for a Winchester 94 trapper in 44mag for a while. I am looking for the one without the safety though, but they seem kinda rare. There is just something special about these old lever action rifles. Once you get one, you just want more and more of them, and you can just feel the history behind them in your hands.

How do these lever action .44mags handle heavy bullets, like say 340gn hardcast, like you would find loaded in a box of buffalo bore ammo?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Pictures?? Can we see it, pleease?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I'll takes some pics this week end of some new additions. The Marlin 1:38" twist won't handle long heavy bullets worth a crap. I use the 250 grain Sierra FPJ bullet with good success. I have shot cast effectively in micro groove barrels but about 250 and 280 grain WFNGC do well.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Good for you Murphy, sounds like a good one. A long time ago I bought a Mod. 94 Win. .44 Mag. with a 20" barrel. I loaded up 280 grain LBT's at about 1,600 fps mv for it. I would take it over a hand gun any day for Mr. Griz, I just shoot it better. My wife claimed it for her berry picking and camp gun, go figure.