Thread: Looking to relocate to alaska

Smile Looking to relocate to alaska

Hi I am looking to relocate to alaska in the future and am very interested in hunting, bird hunting, fishing and camping and it seems to make it easier to make such a big move if I make friends prior. So would love to make some new friends that have similar interests that I do! I am very impressed with this site it is exactly what I have been looking for and has so much information its amazing!

Welcome so when do plan on relocating up here. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Im not for sure yet. I have started looking for jobs now but I have lived here in baker city oregon most of my life, I am 23 so it is pretty scary but its what I want. Thanks for the welcome! Jamie.

what type of work do you do I know corrections is looking to hire around 300 officers for a new prison they are getting ready to open.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    what type of work do you do I know corrections is looking to hire around 300 officers for a new prison they are getting ready to open.
    Ya know, that is some advise worth considering. If a person can deal with that type of environment, it can be a good job. Years ago I took the test, passed, but decided not to. Sometimes I wonder about that decision.

You'll look long and hard to find a place as lovely as that Baker Valley and the surrounding country; north of there, up in the Eagle Cap and Lostine, is heaven on earth! If they had reds, I'd be there in a heartbeat
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    You'll look long and hard to find a place as lovely as that Baker Valley and the surrounding country; north of there, up in the Eagle Cap and Lostine, is heaven on earth! If they had reds, I'd be there in a heartbeat
    Yep, I have often thought if I were to move somewhere for hunting that the Montana-Idaho-Oregon area would be the place. More species, longer seasons, beautiful country.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post

lol what a great way to start your adventure of freedom and excitement. If there are 300 open jobs its probably a private FOR PROFIT prison. Don't work for them %%%%%%s

Don't reward them. What a terrible idea. Shameful idea

There is the prison, and there is a HUGE employment crunch right now in Anchorage. At my work, we are hiring in all departments and cannot get staff because people keep getting recruited towards the north slope.

Jamie, I am originally from Oregon myself as well, the northwest part. After spending almost 5 years on the east coast in NC, I re-enlisted to come to Alaska and did enjoy the little time I was there, I am currently deployed now. After I re-enlisted I spent the majority of my time on the web researching all the outdoors that Alaska has to offer, and I can assure you I have not even begun to scratch the surface! I would highly recommend it (not to any libs of course), also make sure you have some kind of job lined up before you come up there, the cost of living is pretty high compared to the lower 48. Are you making the move by yourself? With family? What part of the state did you plan on living in, I just moved up there in November, drove the whole way from NC. I will be more than willing to help you with any questions you have. Matt

o yes I definitely can not move anywhere without a job already lined out. I have vehicle payments and a house payment that I will still have lol I haven't decided what part yet I guess it just depends on where the job is. I would be moving by myself. What are you enlisted in? I am working on getting into the coast guard right now. Meanwhile, just goin to school.

o yes! I spend tons of my time in the eagles! My favorite! I dont want to move because I dislike it in anyway I just want to see new places and meet people before I get old lol

Right now I am in manufacturing I've worked at the same place since I was 18 so anything that I would qualify for that pays good enough I would be intersted in doing. Doesn't necessarily have to be manufacturing.

And I would LOVE to visit HOMER!

o and John Day valley is pretty sweet too

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie454 View Post
    And I would LOVE to visit HOMER!
    LOL wait about 4 months 'til the circus leaves town, you can see it for what it really is
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

omg lol that sounds not good