Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has seen any bears moving or had hits yet?

Default Who has seen any bears moving or had hits yet?

Wondering if anybody has had any sighting or hits yet? I'm a unit 16 guy, still some snow but i had some Bear scat at the station! Going up this weekend to check the bait if it's been hit.

I am in Unit 15 and hadn't been hit as of the weekend. It is a little later than last year.

15C...........browinies are all over the friggin' place...!!!

Baited 5/6, checked 5/12, hit by a big black boar (82 pictures). Checked last night and he hasn't been back. Think I got lucky and had one den up close to the stand. Three feet of snow, Unit 13...

Bait out on 5/10 and checked on 5/15. No hit yet but I am up in the mountains and still have lots of snow. I suspect another week will help. Good luck everyone!
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

This seems to be a forum with bear knowledge. Can you help with identification of this poop vs scat? Here are 2 views of the poop.
    There are moose that go through frequently, but this is different. Thanks - in my yard!!
    poop 3.jpgpoop 1.jpg

Summer moose poop. Amazing what a little moisture does to the digestive system, eh?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Awesome, I was hoping it was something like that! My initial thought was loose-moose poop, but was not sure. I appreciate your fast response!

There is a enough of a difference between bull and cow pellets that you can tell what sex the moose is.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Baited 5/6, checked 5/12, hit by a big black boar (82 pictures). Checked last night and he hasn't been back. Think I got lucky and had one den up close to the stand. Three feet of snow, Unit 13...

Are you up near Denali HWY?? Or Eureka side?

South of Cantwell.

Quote Originally Posted by caseymarre View Post
    Wondering if anybody has had any sighting or hits yet? I'm a unit 16 guy, still some snow but i had some Bear scat at the station! Going up this weekend to check the bait if it's been hit.
    Last time I checked, it was pretty slushy ... so may not get to the station locations. With the warm days... I'm hoping the slush will be reduced to puddles.

Like many ... will be headed up to unit 16A Friday night. Going to set the barrels. honey burns, and do some camping. I'll look out for your vehicle... and stop and say hi if you're around. Good luck!

Friend has a big blackie on bait. Watched 3 cinnamon's on the mountain a couple nights ago for a few hours. They're out just not getting around much yet. Cold nights and snow still hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    There is a enough of a difference between bull and cow pellets that you can tell what sex the moose is.
    We thought that too for awhile, until a friend of mine watched a cow poop and went over to look after. Seems to depend on what they're eating as this cow's crap looked like what we had always thought to be a bulls'. Unless you know distinctly how to tell the difference, and why you know this to be true, which I would like to know as well.

Just set my bait in 16A today, was a few patches of rotten snow 1-2' deep but my wheeler pulled right through most of them. Fighting the brush and wind fallen trees with the wheeler and chainsaw while breaking in an old dilapidated trail of mine was the fun part lol. Fresh grizzly scat and tracks at my new bait station, a day or two old at most. Hope he was just passing through and don't come back, i'll find out Saturday when I go to hang my treestand, the ol' 45-70 might come with me that time....

I have had a blackie coming in this week.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Had a lil black bear in the yard,,chewed up my archery targets, and played soccer with them..grizz tracks passed by the place also..still laid up so i have to get one of these kids out of school to do some shootin i guess..

Soon, soon.......

Soon.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Had a hit at our stand, but not from a bear. Some SOB walked in and cut the rope and took the cherry bait ball my 11 year old daughter bought because it would bring her luck. Thought maybe a bear did it but no claw marks on the tree and nothing else was touched. I'm going to have to buy a camera I guess just to see who's trying to make my daughters season less than sucessful. Shame on em if the boy and I catch em.
    Paul

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    Had a hit at our stand, but not from a bear. Some SOB walked in and cut the rope and took the cherry bait ball my 11 year old daughter bought because it would bring her luck. Thought maybe a bear did it but no claw marks on the tree and nothing else was touched. I'm going to have to buy a camera I guess just to see who's trying to make my daughters season less than sucessful. Shame on em if the boy and I catch em.
    Some people just suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Just found out from a guy that F&G won't do anything with the guys messing with his bait. Because he can't prove they were actually hunting it. Destroyed one camera and stole the electronics. But the other camera got pictures of the people and an atv registration sticker. The world is full of dirt bags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast