Thread: Learning to Spey cast

Default Learning to Spey cast

I've got the rod and reel, now I just need to put some line on it and start practicing. How did those of you that use 2 handed rods learn. Is taking a class worthwhile or should I continue watching youtube taking in the advice given and mimicking what I see. I'm the first of my close group of friends to venture into the realm of spey, so no good mentors at hand. Give me your thoughts speycasters!

Skagit movies, save some clips to your phone and carry it to a nice open part of the river! swing away.

I learned the hardway, but when I started there was nothing like we have today for instructions. I would recommend a class, it will really cut the curve and get you away from bad habbits before they start. The best learing video out there right now (IMHO) is Skagit master with w/Ed Ward. Ed does a great job of explaining and talking in a way that you can understand and easy to figure out. Rio's 3 disk set and Spey to Z are also good video's, but they cover a lot of other types of casts as well and it can be confusing. I am talking that you have a skagit setup and that is the style you are after.

Line setup is also critical yet can be confusing as there is nothing set in stone as to what fits each caster.

Timing, muscle memory and bottom hand are the critical things to remember and learn. 80% bottom hand is what you need for a 2hand cast. Slowing down is the other, you need to be sure and slow everything down when you are casting.

Hope this helps!
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Just food for thought check with the FFF and see who is an Anchorage certified casting instructure a lot of them are just peeps like you and me and may be willing to work with you or get with Tony Weaver and see if he is available for some instruction. I know he was working both outdoor shows this year and being the TFO poc now in AK is working with local fly shops to include some free casting clinics.

mossys is offering a couple upcoming spey casting classes on the kenai

Mark Huber is the THCI in ANC, and does classes for all levels of speycaster. Mossy's is doing clinics as well (as previously noted).

My advice is to get some lessons to go along with the video - it is invaluable to have someone knowledgeable provide feedback on your cast. In 2-handed casting, it is pretty easy to pick up bad, hard-to-break habits early on.

World Wide Anglers had a flyer up a few weeks ago for upcoming spey classes.

Copy that...skagit master volume 1 is "by far" the most detailed, instructive spey casting video. Spey casting is one of the most engaging forms of fly fishing; the lessons learned using this form takes your fishing to the next level, and better yet, many 2 handed casts, given your skill level, are transferrable to the single hand rod. By in large, it allows the fisherman to have their fly in the water longer, which largely conveys more fish being caught.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

Get the RIO video on spey casting. You don't know if you're going to want to just chuck skagit or scandi...hell you may like long belly lines.

Start saving for a bamboo spey.