Thread: bear barrel methods

Default bear barrel methods

How do you set up your barrel? What method is best for you as far as hole size, lid or no lid, chained down, hanging or grounded. I'm not asking for the family recipe. Just thought it would be cool to see the differences of opinion. Myself, I use 55 gal drum/1ft dia hole/rough edge to catch hair so I can tell if black or brown is hitting it. Would like to hear others opinions and maybe get some cool ideas to try this year.

Cool Good questions....

....so I'll give it a shot. This is just my opinion based on experience running several baits a year in a good operation.

I feel that hole size is important. We use 55 gal drums filled with chicken grease which work well because you never have to worry restocking bait most of the time. On a hot bait we may go through 2 if it's really cooking. Of course they weigh about 500 pounds which is the fun part. We cut a hole big enough in the side of the drum for the bear to get a paw into, but not big enough for their head. We don't want their head getting stuck or them hurting themselves. They reach their paw in and grab a pawful and lick it up. Now this works for this kind of bait, but I suppose if you were using something else you may need an open ended drum or a bigger hole.

We use a stong cable and just cut a hole in the side of the drum and tie the cable to a tree seveal times which holdes it in place so they can't roll it away. We try and position larger logs behind the drum so the bear has to walk around the front as well. I've attached a couple of pictures, not the best in the world I know, showing a little about what I'm talking about. One shows how big the hole is sort of and the wire on the side of the drum. Hope this helps a bit.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another detail, is I won't sit a bait, until, the bear takes a dump at the bait.
    When a bear first comes to a bait, he circles it, being cautious,winding as he goes. If he winds you once, you have got a nocturnal bear.
    Once the bear takes a dump at your bait station, he is relaxed, and feels safe. He will come right in, without circling.

The proof is in the pudding.

Default Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by watch4bear View Post
    Another detail, is I won't sit a bait, until, the bear takes a dump at the bait.
    When a bear first comes to a bait, he circles it, being cautious,winding as he goes. If he winds you once, you have got a nocturnal bear.
    Once the bear takes a dump at your bait station, he is relaxed, and feels safe. He will come right in, without circling.

The proof is in the pudding.
    Since you can hunt all night in interior AK I've never thought of bears as being nocturnal and causing a problem. It's no big deal if he comes in 0400 because it's still light out. We try to get our bears used to human scent to the point they don't mind it. We have several bears a year we have to keep from climbing our stands and smelling us...they just go back down to the bait...that icludes the big bears as well. They always know we are there, they just don't mind because they get used to it, and I'm talking at least 10 different bears on each bait more or less. Interesting though....

Wink Oh yea...

And Watch4Bear.....I didn't mean to sound like you were doing anything wrong, please don't take it that way...I was just throwing out another opinion is all...good luck this year for sure!

Default Beer Keg

One of my hunting partners is going to use a beer keg this year with a hole in the end. We live in Soldotna. He has tried barrels the past few years and the brown bears keep smashing them flat or tearing them of the trees then smashing them. The keg he has should hold about a bag of dog food and is good and heavy so hopfully the bears cant smash this one. He's going to chain it to the bottom of a tree and let them use it as a shaker to get the food out of it. I'll send pictures as soon as he sets it and leave feedback on how well it works.

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Since you can hunt all night in interior AK I've never thought of bears as being nocturnal and causing a problem. It's no big deal if he comes in 0400 because it's still light out. We try to get our bears used to human scent to the point they don't mind it. We have several bears a year we have to keep from climbing our stands and smelling us...they just go back down to the bait...that icludes the big bears as well. They always know we are there, they just don't mind because they get used to it, and I'm talking at least 10 different bears on each bait more or less. Interesting though....
    You probably hunt later in the year, when there is light all night. Probably for better hides.
    If the bears always know your there, and they don't mind, can you move around a lot when you are in your stand?

Default Not really...

Quote Originally Posted by watch4bear View Post
    You probably hunt later in the year, when there is light all night. Probably for better hides.
    If the bears always know your there, and they don't mind, can you move around a lot when you are in your stand?
    We don't move around much, unless they are climbing the tree or climbing into a ground blind, which happened twice last year, but we can certainly wisper and get who ever is hunting into shooting position. We usually start sitting the last weekend in May or so, about 3 weeks after putting bait out....but they know we are there. We watch videos we take all the time and you can see the bears, even the ones that don't come around you, looking right at you...they know you are there most of the time, they are just used to it...IMHO.

Good luck...the snow is finally melting so the bears are getting hungry I hope! After a long winter I'm itchin to get out in the woods!

Thumbs up

What we have done for the past several years and has worked like a charm, is to get a barrel (55 gallon) with detachable lid, normally held on by strap with bolt that tightens. Make a small hole about six inches from the bottom about the size of volley ball, a bit smaller though. Take a small peice of screen from an old door and put inside this way when you put dog food/grease it doesn't pour out. The bears pluck stuff right out, but they can't poke around enough to get stuff to pour out. Chain it to a tree with stout chain, have had Brownies trash barrel and move it over fifty yards loaded. Once the bears are eating hard core, they won't care what is there, we have videoed, talked and watch momma, babie and big bruins all come one after another. All while they seem to staring right through you, as long as you don't give sudden movements when they first come into the area, they are ok. Another thing is not to hunt until they have pooped in the area, you'll know it for sure, don't know what it is maybe an old wise tail, but it is true especially for the past 6 years...

Default Small

Since 50 pounds of dog food will fit into a 30-35 gallon drum I have switched to the smaller, and plastic. I chain the barrel to the tree about 18" off of the ground. I pour a little grease under the barrel for the bear to walk in. 2 or 3 holes 1" in diameter is all that is in the bottom of the barrel. If the bear moves the barrel just a little, the dog food will spill just enough on the ground. On the top I cut a 3" or 4" swuare hole for pouring the food in.

Going to try a new 10 gallon chemical bucket for a distant stand this year. Going in light without a heart atack doing so.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default A couple of pics

Here is Booboo. Doing his thing. He would climb right up on top and peak in the hole on top. He also loved raspberry jellow sprinkled onto melted marshmallows unit he got it inot his furn and sat for 10 minutes picking it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

In this picture you see the way I have done bear baits for 10 years. 30-55 gallon polys use a skill saw and cut a box out of the top between the bungs , make the square just big enough to allow a large bear paw to fit in it (Sometimes you make it a little too big like in the pic below). They spend a lot of time there because they have to work to get the food one paw at a time, that way they wont gorge and take off its more of a challenge for them. At the back side of the drum I drill a hole on each side using a hole bit and then run the chain through the barrell and using a threaded link I lash the chain to itself after its around a "solid" tree. Then I fill that square jammed with large logs so the little critters dont eat all the bait. I also put grease on the logs because they man handle them logs and get the grease all over their paws as well as the grease in front of the barrel so that they will trail it whereever they may roam and attract other bears that cross their paths back to my bait. Those logs also allow me to know that a bear has been there during teh early season light hits before they start gorging. With the barrel done this way I have my bud tilt the barrel up and I can pour dog food and grease in pretty easily too.Heres a few pics.