Thread: Chest Holster with a thumb break?

Default Chest Holster with a thumb break?

So I've looked up and down in posts and holster manufacturer's websites for the perfect large caliber holster. I can never seem to find everything I want (such is life... I know). But my specific question is this:

Where can I find a leather chest holster that is fully adjustable (such as a Diamond D, Guides Choice) that has a retention strap with a thumb break?

All of the holsters I've seen that have a retention strap, unsnap with your fingers and not your thumb. A thumb break gives you a much faster draw, which is a plus when in bear country. I don't want to go with no retention though, as I've had many-a-gun fall out of a holster when tromping through the woods.

My revolver is a S&W 629 .44 mag with a 6.5" barrel. I have a Bianchi leather hip holster with a thumb break that I love. I Wish (and am hoping) someone would come out with a chest holster like it.

Anyone seen one of these? Own one? or know where to buy one?
    Thanks.

You can get a thumb brake on the Guides Choice but you need to order it that way and give them time to build it, that is what I was going to do for my first 460V. However you donít need it, the holster holds the gun extremely well on its own and has a loop if you plan on hanging up-side down and shaking for an hour . . . I remove my loops even because you just donít need them with Daveís adjustable holster design, gun only comes out when I want it too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I also have found good holsters like the guides choice and simply rugged don't need anything extra to hold in the gun or make it secure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

So I checked with Diamond D to see if they offer this option. This was the response from them:

"We do not add the thumb brake to any of our holsters anymore. The guides choice and the way it carries is actually very fast with the removal of the retention strap with your thumb. The whole holster would have to be redesigned to allow for the leather to go up higher on both sides of the gun to accommodate the thumb brake. We are not interested in going that route.

Sorry,

Mike Barrett
    Business Manager
    Diamond D Custom Leather
    "

Just thought I'd let everyone know that this is still not an option. I appreciate the opinions of everyone who have used this holster since I have not. But I've had bad experiences of guns falling out of holsters. Still interested to hear if a holster company offers this option.
    Thanks

I have a chest rig with thumb break for my 629. It is made by Rowe Leather and it is called the Doc Holiday. I got used to thumb breaks years ago and still like them (even if not needed). I know that Dimond D makes great stuff, but if one with a thumb break is what you are looking for talk to Kenny Rowe and he will get you hooked up. It is very adjustable and extremely well made. FYI- for any of you knife guy's- they are the same people who make many of the sheaths for custom blades. Great folks and products.
    BEE

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AD is right.

Some of us got the Guide's Choice holsters before Dave had a Business Manager, and stopped with the Thumb Breaks on his Guide's Choice holster.

Mine is for a S&W Mdl 29 with a 6" barrel. It doesn't have a Thumb Break, but has a hammer loop with a tab to take it off.

BUT like AD says, you DON'T NEED IT when you're packin the gun. I take it off, and I've adjusted the Tension screw on the holster so that it doesn't fall out, but it can be jerked out easily.

I guess this, is one of the reasons that Dave's holsters are so popular now, and he hasta have a Busines Manager. The main reason is the simle and comfortable straping, and how easily it goes on and off.

I do understand your concern for dropping the gun, though, and I agree that a Thumb Break is the best and fastest kinda retention.

Dave also made me a Hip Holster with a Thumb Break and I sometimes use that, depending on whatever seems the best, depending on what I'm doin an where I'm goin.

Smitty of the North

One solution I've been looking into is using this; http://www.voodootactical.net/p-704-...-platform.aspx and just attaching a thumb break holster to it.

This isn't my idea, I saw a guy at the range with one and it looked pretty neat.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Well, you guys may have convinced me to just go with the Guide's Choice. If the retention is as good as you all say it is, then maybe I should try it out... and I'll try to refrain from doing as much shaking for hours while hanging upside-down

Thanks AKBEE for your suggestion on Rowe Leather. I couldn't see their "Doc Holiday" holster when I went to their site. But judging by the style of their other leather products, I think their leather is a little too fancy for my taste, I'm looking for something more in line with Diamond D's style.

I'd still like to hear of other thumb break options if any exist.

I certainly understand going with the guides choice- but please know that the stuff they show on the site is the fancy stuff. My sheath's and holster's they have made are plain brown leather other than having initials on them. Whatever you decide- chest carry is a great way to go- out of the water and out of the arm movement when fishing or hiking.
    BEE

I like thumb breaks and tension screws on a field holster, but none of my Kramer Horse Hide Scabbards have either. From what I have heard that Guides Choice works fine as is.